General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Personal Autio Link

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Personal Autio Link

I just bought an 08 HHR a couple of months ago. I noticed on the Chevy site that an iPod can be plugged into the radio via a Personal Autio Link (PAL). Does anyone know if this would be the USB cord that came with the iPod,or does Chevy have a particular type required. I have an extra cord for my iPod, but I am not sure if it will work. My radio code is US9 - AM/FM Stero, 6 disk CD Changer, MP3 format w/aux input jack. Can anyone help with this. Thanks, 08SS
Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 PM

The Personal Audio Link (PAL) is an aftermarket option that uses a data cable that plugs into your iPod and allows you to control the iPod using your radio buttons and display playlist info, etc. on the radio display. I think it costs around $200. Dealer install recommended.

If you just want to plug your iPod into the radio, use the AUX input jack on the front of your radio with a simple cable that you should be able to pick up for just a few bucks.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by ORGELBAU
If you just want to plug your iPod into the radio, use the AUX input jack on the front of your radio with a simple cable that you should be able to pick up for just a few bucks.
Ya this is what I have it was about $5. It plugs into the headphone port on the iPod.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by JayKWills
Ya this is what I have it was about $5. It plugs into the headphone port on the iPod.
Good option, but you can't control it from the steering wheel if you have the controls.

PAL is an option for the HHR (mine had it installed already) and not sure if it is an after market item (not sure who else makes it?) and the cable is usually in the top box. $200 seems like a lot.

I had a lowly mp3 player before getting the Nano, so had no expectations of how good or bad it was going to be. Some have issues with it being just a smidgen slow--if you RTM it tells you how to work the switches.

If you type in "personal audio link" in the search, you'll find multiple threads about it--good and bad.

Regardless, it is a cool option regardless of how you plug it in!

@
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the information. Like I said, I just pick up my HHR a couple of months ago, and I am still learning about it. I just found this site last night. I didn't know there were sites for HHR enthusiasts
Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 AM

you should be able to get it in the $130-150 range. I just put one in-I like the idea of having a clean install-no dangling wires audio/charger. I have an older (3G) Ipod. I've found the UI a bit clunky slow and not so intuitive. It may be quicker on a newer Ipod?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Is it something I can do, or do I have to go to the dealer? Also, is the wire like the cable that comes with the iPod, or is it a special dealer item. I appriciate you responding.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 AM

it comes with everything u need-cable is the long multi-pin that plugs into the bottom of the Ipod-just like the factory one. I did mine-it's pretty easy if you are a little handy. If you have XM you will have to splice one wire by the fusebox. I checked it nine times and left enough slack that I could put it back together if I had the wrong one. You have to take the radio out and take apart some of the things that allow you to do that, and there is a box that mounts in the footwell by the heater vents and some wires get routed here and there.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 PM

If you have XM it also needs to be reflashed.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Does anyone make a link or USB port to pulg in non I pod players.

I have been using a Sansa 16 gig and I don't want to change. I like the plug in on the front but would rather have it in the storage bin and contol it on the radio.

Quick Reply: Personal Autio Link