General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Piaa Xtreme Force or Silverstar Ultra-H11-H13

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Piaa Xtreme Force or Silverstar Ultra-H11-H13

I know this his been batted around before (Silverstars-life expectancy ) Running "standard" Silverstars now in the headlights (i'm the rare one, no problem so far in the SS, and my '03 Silverado has them for almost 2 years with no burnout yet)
Was looking into new or different bulbs, for the headlights and possibly replacing the stock fog lights at the same time.
Was wondering if anyone has had the Piaa Xtreme Force bulbs and how they like them.Even better yet, anyone had both(Piaa Xtreme/Silverstar Ultra) for the best comparison?
Was looking around online and checking into the Piaa Xtreme Force white bulbs . The Piaa's are a lot more than Silverstars, but if they average longer life and have a better light pattern/output, that's not a problem for me.
During a search , i checked out a forum (Honda-but not a ricer board ) and a lot of what was said was that Piaa's were pretty good.

Was figuring that whatever i end up going with, it's probably best that i change out both the headlights and the fogs at the same time, with the same brand/style of bulbs.(Not really a reasonable plan/excuse LOL, it's just how i shop )

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Headlight bulb changes are very opinionated. So, I'll add mine.

I haven't changed my HHR bulbs YET. But I have replaced the HIGH beam and the fogs on my other car. I selected the PIAA extremes (upon recommendation)because they are very close to the same intensity and color of my HID low beams. The fogs are now the same as the HID's as well....instead of the yellowish color of the OEMs. IMO they both look much better, provide better visability and provide a balanced look.

You're right, they are much more expensive. BUT it MIGHT be a case of, "you get what you pay for".
Old 12-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks Snoopy,
I value your opinion .
I did look thru a search of the topic here, but still wanted a few opinions/reviews b4 i made my choice.
Have nothing against Silverstars,I have them on stuff around here for a few years and no complaints.
Had Piaa's for off road driving lights back in my 4wd/Jeep days and they worked well also.

Bottom line, i just want the best lights i can (without going HID route, at least not for a while) since i do a lot of driving,and 2/3's of it being during darkness.And since i live in a rural setting, i need all the help i can get ,with all those deer and other critters feeling like they need to ruin my day(nite)
Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 PM

I'm running Philips Xtreme's about $45 for the pair. The light color is about the same as stock but they are a lot brighter. A couple of things to note. I do get a lot of drivers on rural roads that think my High beams are on.
I have also found that with the brighter lights there is a definite cut off point to the top of the light pattern, in low beam. it's kind of like you would get with real HID fixtures. It doesn't really bother me that much but with the brighter light it makes looking past the pattern a little harder. In other words where the lights don't reach it looks darker..........

I have recommended these lights to others and they seem to be happy with them too.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by HHorange
I'm running Philips Xtreme's about $45 for the pair.
I have recommended these lights to others and they seem to be happy with them too.
Thanks, i'll look into them

Quote:
I do get a lot of drivers on rural roads that think my High beams are on.

Same here, especially with my Silverado(w/Silverstars also)I think between the brighter light along with the cut off on low beam probably going up and down on bumpy roads, some people think i'm running w/ my hi beams (seems to be usually the drivers with pre-halogen headlights "brighting" me most of the time. If i get a lil hi beam flicked my way, i give them the same. If i get the loooong brights at me, i give them the same amount of time. I think only once i got "brighted" in the SS since i had the SilverStars in .
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM

im looking into lights as well..
im between the PIAA n Philips..
heard to many uneasy things about silverstars..
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM

i have changed my low/high beams with NOKYA arctic white bulbs and love the difference. appearance of HID most definitely and a far better light output. just another bulb to take into consideration. believe their about 40$.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by HHorange
I'm running Philips Xtreme's about $45 for the pair. The light color is about the same as stock but they are a lot brighter. A couple of things to note. I do get a lot of drivers on rural roads that think my High beams are on.
I have also found that with the brighter lights there is a definite cut off point to the top of the light pattern, in low beam. it's kind of like you would get with real HID fixtures. It doesn't really bother me that much but with the brighter light it makes looking past the pattern a little harder. In other words where the lights don't reach it looks darker..........

I've got these in my 06 and can vouch for the increased output while retaining the stock light color. The projection with the high beams on is fantastic.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 PM

I have the Silverstars and am happy with them so far. I chose them because my left front went out and my choice was the Silverstars or normal Phillips replacements. That was what the store had on hand.

I would chose the PIAA if I would have had the luxury of time to order them.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 PM

Well, since the drivers side low beam(SilverStar) went out the other morning(in my driveway @4am prior to me leaving for work)i figured i need to make a decision on what to go with,as mentioned in my original post here. I ordered PIAA 4000K Extreme Whites off eBay ,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

later that day. In the meantime, i bit the bullet and re-installed the stock bulbs until the Piaa's arrive.
Going back to stock bulbs, i really could tell the difference.
I only wish the SS's headlights were a snap to swap out like my '03 Silverado, that truck spoiled me LOL.
Will prob go with Piaa's for the fogs too, but not that soon after the headlights. My wife will have no real problem "with me spending $70'ish bux on headlights " considering she got used to the price of Silverstars on the last 2 vehicles, but getting $60 fog bulbs at the same time, might not be the smart thing to do in my case .

In the case of the Silverstars not lasting long, i look at it this way:a low beam burnt out after some 8 months time,i drive 2 hrs+ a day,the DRLs are on regardless whenever the car is driven w/ no headlights,and the fact that probably the real reason i got what some might call a short time outa this bulb is,,,, potholes are as big as swimming pools where i drive, and i nailed at least one nasty pothole the other day, so maybe that helped kill the bulb.

I'll post my review of the Piaa's when i get them .

Quick Reply: Piaa Xtreme Force or Silverstar Ultra-H11-H13