General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Po171

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Sounds like maybe a voice to text translation gone awry
Old 11-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Threads merged.

Shecky, we want to help you. Take your time when posting, maybe have someone there look at what you're typing. So much of what you have posted is just nonsensical jibberish.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:26 PM

Can't Get Rid of P0171

Hey, Guys, I have posted this before About the P0171 code and tried the advice from all an Also took it to 2 mechanics and they did not find the problem and charged me So here's what I have already done I changed the Catalytic converter Had it smoke tested for leaks nothing found Changed fuel injectors and plugs coils air filter mass airflow sensor even the fuel rail It went away for a while and I got a P0420 code and mech said it was My cat so I was going to live with the aftermarket Cat But then it came back What else can I Do ? any suggestions?? P.S. the problem with my whining steering was the Rack Thanks, Guys ...
Old 10-29-2020, 01:57 PM

Threads merged again. Keep it to one thread, please. Avoid confusion from multiple posts on the same topic.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:37 PM

So, you had a p0171 then you got the p0420? What is the time line? Slow down please, just write one sentence at a time, use punctuation etc. maybe throw a line break in now and then.
Why did you replace the cat?
Did you ever test the fuel pressure?
What came back?
Old 11-02-2020, 07:13 PM

If you think this is fun, you ought to try Facebook HHR groups. There are about six of ‘em.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:45 PM

Hello All,

Wanted to share my current experience with P0171 since I just got to it today. Hope it helps someone with the same issue. My car is an '07 HHR 2.2L LS.

3 days ago I went on an errand and when I was in the way home, my car started shifting as if it had a very aggressive shift kit. I got home and out it in park thinking it was the tranny so I switched between the gears and it would shift very harsh into gears from park.

It was not until I looked at the dash that I noticed the CEL lit and I got on to this site to see if my tranny was toast. Got some good info to start my diagnosis and today I got to scanning my car and P0171 came up as confirmed and P0134 pending.

I performed the below:
  1. Performed a vacuum leak test using propane method throughout the engine hitting hoses, throttle body air ducts, brake booster hose and intake manifold and there was no change in idle.
  2. I disconnected the purge valve and pull the hose going to the firewall and put my finger on the valve end to see if there was any issues with leaking vacuum or suction.
  3. I checked the flex pipe for any cracks at the same time looking for any soot build up and nothing. All looked clean.
  4. Cleaned MAF and installed and cleared the CEL and let it run again to see if the issue was the MAF being dirty since I have an Airraid intake with oil filter. Ran for 15 mins before the light came on again and the same codes, P0171 confirmed and P0134 pending. I also noticed that the 02 reading on my scanner was staying at the same reading.
  5. Car was running rough and very rich, very strong fuel smell so after all my checks the only other issue was the upstream 02 sensor so I disconnected the battery to reset everything while changing out 02 sensor.
  6. Replaced the upstream 02 sensor and verified that all hoses were intact and all wiring was in good order.
  7. Connected the battery and turned on car. Right away it was a totally different car.
  8. Idled the car for 20 mins to let it cycle through and see if the CEL would come back.
  9. Took it for a 40 min drive mixed on freeway and city and made a few stops along the way.
  10. Got home and hooked up the scanner and no new codes come up and it idled smoother after the drive.
All in all, the 02 sensor was causing my lean code as well as my harsh shifting.

I used Denso 02 sensor. I also used my tite-reach tool with 02 socket and impact to remove and saved myself so much time since the sensor came out with no issues.

I know many do not like tite reach extensions but I got them as a gift and they have saved me a few times in tight spots with no room to work with a ratchet.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:18 PM

It might take a week for all of the OBD2 tests to run after disconnecting the battery. Hope it stays away.
The P0134 might have come from the sensor getting fouled by too much fuel.
P0171 does not mean the A/F is lean, it means the computer can't lean it anymore to compensate for the rich A/F. The title is misleading because most folks don't see the TRIM part "fuel trim lean", not fuel system lean.

I hope it is fixed.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Keep us posted in a week or 2!
Old 12-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It might take a week for all of the OBD2 tests to run after disconnecting the battery. Hope it stays away.
The P0134 might have come from the sensor getting fouled by too much fuel.
P0171 does not mean the A/F is lean, it means the computer can't lean it anymore to compensate for the rich A/F. The title is misleading because most folks don't see the TRIM part "fuel trim lean", not fuel system lean.

I hope it is fixed.
Fingers crossed. The initial reason it triggered me to do a full vacuum leak test was that the ST/LT fuel trims were very high usually pointing to an external/internal leak somewhere. Even after clearing codes after my check and running they remained high.

Once I replaced the 02, the ST/LT fuel trims are now low where they should be reading. I kept my scan tool connected while driving to measure the activity and noticed that the trims stayed at where they needed to be. Also my 02 reads were also moving around as I sit idle and while accelerating.

Never had an issue with this car but since it practically sits since I am now working from home it seems it wanted my attention....lol.

Quick Reply: Po171