General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Power door lock help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Thumbs down Power door lock help.

First off,HELLO ALL, I am new to the forum. Just bought a red 2008 HHR. This is not a complaint, just something I should have noticed before buying my HHR. My HHR is a LT with power seats and power door locks, not sure of all the options,or lack of it came with. This is the first car I've even owned that when it's parked, doors locked, I cannot unlock the passenger door by key, or with a remote, which I take this model does not have. So I must leave her alone, walk around to the drivers side, unlock the door, reach inside to push a button in which to unlock her door. Not that I feel it's just proper to open the door for my wife, but also from a security view point. At last my question, seeing it already has power door locks( interior operated), anyone feel that I might be able to use a remote controlled key retro fitted to my HHR?? I take higher optioned HHR's must have this feature. Again, no HHR complaint here and this does not really bother my wife much, but it bugs me.
Many thanks,
Bill
Ossipee,NH
Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 AM

If it was a rental return, they could have ordered it with no remote. But the remote is otherwise standard. Are you sure they just didn't give them to you?

Other than that, I think most, if not all, have deleted the passenger side key lock. My wife 03 doesn't even have it.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Founding Member

What are the last 8 digits of the VIN? With that information I can see if you have the remote option.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Sounds like it might not be programmed to unlock all doors when put in "P" (park). If you have the owners manual, on pg. 3-57 it will explain that feature. If you don't have an owners manual click on this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/ which will give you an on line version that you can download and save to your computer.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Sounds like it might not be programmed to unlock all doors when put in "P" (park). If you have the owners manual, on pg. 3-57 it will explain that feature. If you don't have an owners manual click on this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3074 which will give you an on line version that you can download and save to your computer.
I think he is saying he can't open the door for his wife unless he goes around and opens the drivers door first to unlock the doors.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM

ChevyMrg,
Here is my Vin number XXXXXXXXXX. All looks OK unlocking from the inside when in parked. It's when all doors are locked that the only way I can open the other doors(from the outside) is to unlock(with key) the driver's door, reach in and unlock the rest of the doors. The key that came with the car is a correct Chevy key, but does not have any remote features to it. That is what I hope to do, see if I can retro fit my HHR with a remote key so I can open the doors that way so I can open the passenger door for my wife.
Many Thanks!,Bill

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 02-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM

On my cheby....from the outside....hit the unlock on the fob once, it unlocks the drivers door, hit it again and it unlocks the passenger door. from inside turn off the key and they all unlock. If you have the feature.....with key on/engine off hit the info button on the left spoke of the steering wheel and the program index will display...this will enable you to change things to your liking...... with in the parimeters of the selections displayed
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM

BTW, the remote is a separate fob, not built into the key. You could buy a fob from the dealer and have them program it for your car.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by redbaron
8S550418.
There is a wrong number in the last eight digits. The last 8 you provided goes to a Saturn Vue.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM

ChevyMgr,
Thanks, must have had a typo with the 4. The vin is 3GNDA23D88S55018. MONGO-Question, so the HHR remote door locks do not/are not, built into a key on cars that have remote opening locks, but have a key FOB with the remote on it? Funny way to do things.Looks like a easy way to seperate the two. All other cars I've seen have it all built into the key, but I could be wrong on that. If that is the case, maybe I can order a FOB from a dealership and have it programed to my HHR. Anyone done this? If so, anyone know the part number?
MANY THANKS, A GREAT FORUM HERE!!
Bill

Quick Reply: Power door lock help.