General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Is power steering boost adjustible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Is power steering boost adjustible?

I've driven 2 differnt '06's, both with 2.2. One auto, one 5 speed. There seemed to be a considerable difference in the amount of boost and feedback in the power steering. Was this just my imagination? Considering that the power comes from magnets and not hydraulics, is the amount of boost something that a tech at the dealer can adjust to your liking?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Put a bigger magnet in it.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 PM

Old Post - I have same question

There was no serious reply to this question back in 2006. I have a 2009 and was wondering the same thing.

On first thought, it seems to me this could be done with some change to the vehicle's computer programming to adjust the bias to the Power Steering motor. How about it - anyone know?

The existing programming adjusts the amount of input to the Electric Power Steering(EPS) based upon speed. More power at slower speeds and less power as the vehicle speed increases. The power steering motor seems to be located on the steering column under the dash.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Founding Member

GM does not offer programming to fit individual desired operation also the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) uses a combination of torque sensor inputs, vehicle speed, calculated system temperature and the steering calibration to determine the amount of steering assist.

Also I typed this with a very serious look on my face.

FYI: From the manual:
When the steering wheel is turned, the PSCM uses signal voltage from the torque sensor to detect the amount of torque being applied to the steering column shaft and the amount of current to command to the EPS motor. The PSCM receives serial data from the engine control module (ECM) to determine vehicle speed. At low speeds more assist is provided for easy turning during parking maneuvers. At high speeds, less assist is provided for improved road feel and directional stability. The PSCM nor the EPS motor are designed to handle 61 amps continuously. The PSCM will go into overload protection mode to avoid system thermal damage. In this mode the PSCM will limit the amount of current commanded to the EPS motor which reduces steering assist levels. The PSCM also chooses which steering calibration to use when the ignition is turned ON, based on the production map number stored in the BCM. The PSCM contains all 8 of the steering calibrations which are different in relation to the vehicles RPO's. The PSCM has the ability to detect malfunctions within the EPS system. Any malfunction detected will cause the IPC message center to display PWR STR (or Power Steering) warning message.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=ChevyMgr;358635]

Pic of ChevyMgr at work you do look very serious
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Founding Member

[QUOTE=GTOMIKE;358638]
Originally Posted by ChevyMgr

Pic of ChevyMgr at work you do look very serious
Yikes!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM

That pic is ChevyMgr aka "Charles Manson" in disguise. Don't mess with him!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM

whoa, ever think of shaving.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Lol

When I receive my Service Manuals next week I will have to look into those 8 steering calibrations and if they can be changed. Via the BCM - RPO.

Last edited by Sno White; 02-17-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: caps
Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Just as ChevyMgr lamented, I never did find a way to adjust the power steering boost. However, I just replaced the tires with 205/65/15 from the stock 215/55/16; took the opportunity to change wheels from the 16” to 15” for the “look”.

My theory is that the slightly narrower tire has changed the power steering feel to my liking, i.e. easier. Of course it could be the tire rubber formulation as well, but who knows! So this may be a way others can “adjust” their power steering, if so desired.

Quick Reply: Is power steering boost adjustible?