General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Premium Gas??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

Who cares about the preformance benefits of higher octane gas, thats minimal. Premium has better detergents and additives to keep your engine cleaner and running longer in addition to burning cleaner than cheap gas. I can't see how people are so cheap not to use the best gas available for their rides. They'll even go against the manufactures recomendations just to save a few cents. Do you put the cheapest tires and brakes on your vehicle just to save a few bucks? People like that shouldn't even own vehicles. Buy a bicycle, then you'll truely save on gas! This statement isn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's a general statement to everyone who cheaps out on their vehicles!
Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamlowery
lol how much is the 100 compared to 97.
I don't know. Nobody has 97 around here to my knowledge. Most places stop at 93 and only 2 of the Delta Sonics around here have 100 octane. They call it CAM2 racing fuel. I think its about $1 per gallon more than regular. I haven't bought any in a while, not since I owned my Mustang. Maybe I'll fill with it the next time to see how it runs in the HHR.

Last edited by captain howdy; 01-22-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:42 AM

A. I usually follow the manufacturer's recommendation

B. I have the 2.2 (because I'm retired and don't have to hurry anymore)

C. Gas has gone almost to $2.40 a gallon in 2 weeks here.

D. I'm so darned cheap I would never buy premium anyway.

Although I do spend more on a quality ale.....I'll have another Sam Adams please
Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Although I do spend more on a quality ale.....I'll have another Sam Adams please
At least you have your priorities straight.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 PM

I've been running 87 with the 2.4 and haven't had a single problem. Run the cheap stuff if it pings go up to the next grade, but if I'm not pinging in AZ with 87, I don't think anybody else will.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Who cares about the preformance benefits of higher octane gas, thats minimal. Premium has better detergents and additives to keep your engine cleaner and running longer in addition to burning cleaner than cheap gas.
Can you point to a source that backs this up. The reason I ask is because a recent Modern Marvels show (on the History Channel) on refineries disputes your information. Higher octane fuel is actually less volitle thus discouraging predetanation.

The show also pointed out that the various brands each add their own additives at the local distribution terminal.

In other words, high octane fuel has additives to discourage it from exploding. I think high octane fuel will offer up better performance only under wide open throttle conditions but not offer anything is return (for it's $.25 per gallon more) under normal driving.

Last edited by monster5601; 01-23-2006 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by monster5601
Can you point to a source that backs this up. The reason I ask is because a recent Modern Marvels show (on the History Channel) on refineries disputes your information. Higher octane fuel is actually less volitle thus discouraging predetanation.

The show also pointed out that the various brands each add their own additives at the local distribution terminal.

In other words, high octane fuel has additives to discourage it from exploding. I think high octane fuel will offer up better performance only under wide open throttle conditions but not offer anything is return (for it's $.25 per gallon more) under normal driving.
I didn't say it burns hotter or explodes better. I said burns cleaner meaning leaves less carbon buildup in your engine. The additional additives and detergents are worth the extra money in the long run. Once again it's not all about performance, it's about keeping your engine running as smoothly as possible for as long as possible. And the manufacturers recomendations also. Is saving a quarter per gallon really worth it in the long run?

Last edited by captain howdy; 01-23-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 AM

I have to agree with Capt Howdy. I don't buy cheap tires to out on the car (cosmetics), I surely don't buy cheap gas for my new ride which is for my engine. That makes no sense to me that someone would do that. Do it for looks but not for the proper care of your new ride????? I would like my car to run and last me then look better. Not only that but when they do come out and say OH my that did cause damage (over time) and now everyone who did not listen to us, is SCREWED! What will you do. Do you wash colored clothes in bleach, no because someone told you not to, the tag says not to. Why would you treat your car any different?

But that is just me......(and capt)
Old 01-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teknobunie
But that is just me......(and capt)
See, I'm not alone!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:37 AM

There is a difference between "cheap" and less expesive fuel.

I don't think there is cheap gas on the market but prices at the pump very, widly, and often.

The point I'm trying to make is that octane is a method used to prevent the fuel from pre-exploding in the cyclinder before the spark.

The term "high octane" does not mean the fuel contains any more or less of any other additive including cleaning agents. It is urban myth.

Here is what the FTC has to say, in part: "using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner." and "Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives". See the link below for the full text.

The only point I'm trying to make is that high octane fuel will help reduce the knock of the 2.4L engine under heavy acceleration. It isn't going to clean you engine or do any thing magical that regular octue fuel will do.

I typically use high octane during the summer and regular in the winter. Hotter days put more stress on the engine.

References:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

Quick Reply: Premium Gas??