General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Price of oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
I've changed my oil myself since day one. For one thing I want to use Mobil 1 synthetic, and if you want synthetic oil, the price goes up to $60 for an oil change, and I'm not willing to spend that much. A 5 quart container and a filter runs me about $28. Much better than 60. As far as the old oil, what I do is drain the oil into a drain pan, add the new oil, then drain the old oil into the container I just emptied and take it to Oreilly Auto for them to recycle. This turns out to be a very clean way to dispose of old oil. Also the HHR is the easiest car I have ever had to change the oil. I don't even have to jack the car up, and the filter is accessed very easily from the top. I understand completely why others don't want to mess with doing an oil change themselves (mess, time, hassle), but this is the only way I will change mine.
60 bucks for one oil change is better than 90 bucks for 3 oil changes in the same time period. think about it.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM

I took mine to the dealer the first oil change because, correct me if I'm wrong, they need to install the nipples to grease the front end. It was about $32. Then I took my other car to Wal-Mart and they wanted $25. I figured getting it done by a trained technician at the dealer was worth the additional cost.

On the second oil change, I also had the tires balanced and rotated. The total cost was $89 and took one hour. At Wal-Mart, the rotation/balancing is free (because I bought the tires there) but it would have taken 3-4 hours. One time the tech at Wal-Mart did not secure the power steering pump cap properly the day before I went on a long trip. It allow the fluid to leak out and ended up damaging the pump. It has made a terrible noise ever since. At least it still works!

I'll chose the dealer any day!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by CameraCrew
60 bucks for one oil change is better than 90 bucks for 3 oil changes in the same time period. think about it.
But why pay $60 when I can do the same thing for $28, plus I know it is done right, and nothing will be damaged in the procoess. I'm not arguing synthetic vs. fossil. I know the advantages of synthetic, and it is all I will use in the HHR. I was just making the point that I refuse to pay jiffy lube $60 to change my oil.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 PM

My dealer gives me free oil and lube for the first year or 12,000 miles.
Cause my dealer loves me. And it was the 8th car I had bought from them since
1983. They missed the 1992 car cause they pi$$ed me off.

Alan
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM

The front end is sealed. no grease fittings. no place to install.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 PM

5 qts of Royal Purple 5-30W and a Wix filter set me back about 40 bucks.But the satisfaction of doing it myself and the protection I feel I am gaining was worth every penny.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:54 PM

I take mine to the dealer and provide my own Mobil 1 oil in a 5 gal container from Walmart. I pay $20 for them to do it and that includes the labor and filter and the normal check they do when you take the vehicle in for service. To me it's worth not having to do it myself and dispose of the old oil.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM

But why pay $60 when I can do the same thing for $28, plus I know it is done right, and nothing will be damaged in the procoess. I'm not arguing synthetic vs. fossil. I know the advantages of synthetic, and it is all I will use in the HHR. I was just making the point that I refuse to pay jiffy lube $60 to change my oil.
Additionaly, Jiffy Lube and similar places do not let the oil drain long enough to truly empty out the engine, which is reason enough to not use them.

What's the sense of getting the oil changed if half a quart or more of the old oil is still in the engine?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Founding Member

HHR: $19,990
Customizing/lowering: $180
Low profile jack: $89
oil change labor: $0
Married 27 yrs priceless!

...add it to the 'honey-do' list!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Exactly...no matter what oil you use...dino or synth the satisfaction knowing it is done right and for low $$ is well worth it. 60 dollars is insane

Goose

Quick Reply: Price of oil change