General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Price Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Question Price Opinion

I’m ready to get my HHR, but I want an LS in Dark Silver Metallic with Auto trans and NO OTHER OPTIONS. A vehicle search within 300 miles has turned up nothing. Because of my specific demands, I won’t take another color or extra options; I will most likely have to order my HHR. No big deal, I'll just have to wait awhile longer.

I am planning on using a local car buying service because they can supposedly give me a better price than a regular dealership because they don’t carry an inventory and don’t have the expense of a building and lot to maintain. On top of that, there is no pressure to buy or any of the crap you go through with a regular dealership.

On the particular model I want the MSRP is $16,890 and Invoice is $15,927. The "best" price I was given was $16,400 because there is so little mark up on the HHR. That's every dealer’s story and they seem to be sticking with it… which may be "truthy" but not "facty" – I just don’t know. Edmunds says that $16,636 is the average price paid by others for the same model and options.

I’m wondering if I could do better by going through the internet sales or fleet sales at a traditional dealership. I like the buying service because I only pay them what they quote. Taxes, tags, and title I have to handle myself which is no problem and it avoids the bogus "doc" fee that dealers always try and stick you with. I need to decide soon…

Opinions, accusations, and threats are all welcome!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM

keep on eye on ebay.You could even have one shipped to you..
Old 03-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by AlienHHR
I’m ready to get my HHR, but I want an LS in Dark Silver Metallic with Auto trans and NO OTHER OPTIONS.
Man, I'd think long and hard about adding running boards - especially living where you do.

I bought a 1LT, with 2.4L enging and running boards as the only option.
Total price: $19,038

I went through my dealer's Fleet Manager (or Internet Manager - same). Dealing online I've seen these guys offer better numbers. I think they have more pricing leeway to bring customers in too.

If you go through the other company - keep in mind that they are padding that price internally (you don't see it), - that's where they make their $$$.

Chevy NEEDS to sell lots of HHR's to get their overall line MPG numbers up. And the Fleet guys know that. Floor salesmen are more likely to have higher prices (both they and the sales manager eat from that number).

I would email the Internet Sales guy at whatever dealership has your HHR, asking him for the best pricing on your vehicle.

...and again......think hard about running boards! You will need them eventually - they protect the paint a lot.

Hope it helps,
Old 03-16-2006, 04:42 PM

You could alway try with going through the internet sales or fleet sales at a traditional dealership. You would be under no obligation and you may be surprised. You should be looking at getting a deal near "invoice".

Try it... it won't hurt and may get you a better deal.

Good shopping!!

Edit: After posting, I saw Mike's post and absolutely agree. If you don't get the running boards, you'll have problems down the road. Besides, they look cool!!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:59 PM

hey man im in roanoke rapids about a hour from you, the dealer here has a silver 1lt here with auto and running boards i could check on it for u if youre intrested im sure it will have a few other options though
Old 03-16-2006, 06:56 PM

You gotta be firm. Walk in there and tell them you'll pay invoice for what you want. If they say no, turn and walk away. 99% of the time they'll go Hoooolllld on a minute, lets see what we can do. I ended up paying 17,100 for my 1LT (bright chrome, abs, bla bla bla, I didn't get leather, sunroof, running boards (i regret that one) or the 2.4l engine, but i got all the rest. Just tell them you got another dealer that was giving you a better price you just wanted to see if you could get any better.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:13 PM

I'll never deal with a floor salesman again. Total waste of your time. I handled everything online, when the car came in I went down for a test drive. The Fleet Manager had all the paperwork ready to go - no haggling. I was in and out in 45-minutes (that included them installing the running boards detailing it, and filling the tank).

Go Internet sales - all the way!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 PM

I will never again buy a car before looking up info online. I should of walked away from my first deal. But I learned a lesson.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:03 PM

I bought mine $400.00 under invoice. Find the right salesman and tell him you are ready to buy. Chevy dealers are willing to deal, at least in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:15 PM

My sticker I believe is 19,500 or somewhere right there.

Quick Reply: Price Opinion