General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Price Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:28 PM

I used the internet found the car and went to the dealer and got it. The internet was not in and they tried to bump up the price. I let them play that game long enough to see the price and then showen th my email with the price. It was about 1200 lower. Shop online since you know what you want, find it email the internet dept and print the price quoted just in case.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:01 PM

My problem is that my needs are very specific, so chances are slim that I will find my HHR on a dealers lot (there's not a lot of profit in a stripped down base model). Additionally, the LS does not seem to be very popular around here. I have seen many LT's at the 4 Chevy dealers here locally and many more using the GM vehicle search. But I've only come across a handful of the LS's and those were loaded up with extras that I can't afford. I am on a tight budget and just adding the auto trans is a luxury. And I wouldn't be getting that except the wife can no longer drive a manual.

I think I'll hit up three of the internet sales guys for a quote and see if their "out the door" price can beat my buying service quote. If they can, I'll try and use that as leverage or simply take the offer. Either way, unless somebody is about to take delivery on an HHR specifically the way I want it, I'll probably be ordering one from Mexico.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:24 AM

I guess I got lucky. I had two preferences in color, either the same dark silver or the golden sandstone. I wanted an LT like you, stripped down. No leather, sunroof, 6 CD changer. I drive a LOT of miles, average 1500 to 1800 a week. And wanted the gas mileage AND was on a budget too. I got mine for just a hair over 17K and it came with only the auto and XM (which I did not activate) other than that, it's basically an LS. I think there may be some suspension difference, but I haven't confirmed it. Oh, it has the 2.2 also. I regret that now and wish I'd gotten the running boards. I don't have much of a problem as the northern HHR owners with road salt, but I live in a rural area with some rock roads. I just drive really slow on them. I have not had any damage yet (5 weeks old, over 8K miles) but next trip into the dealer, I'm gonna haggle for running boards. I found mine through the GM vehicle search by the way. Good luck in your search for your's!

CBL
Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 AM

Here is one other thing to keep in mind. When I picked mine up(March 8) my salesman told me that Chevy had a hold on orders for new LS models. They can still be ordered but there is no way to know when they will be built. My 2LT was ordered Jan 17 and took 7 weeks to come in. My salesman told me he had ordered an LS on the same day for another customer but as of the 8th the order still had not been accepted my Chevy. It sounds as if the LS models might be harder to find right now and it is doubtful they will be willing to haggle as much as on a LT.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:32 AM

I'm with you, Alien, I only want the automatic and I'll pick and choose after that in the aftermarket arena. That vehicle, during the Red Tag sale, was $15,300 and is normally $16,300. That's in Rochester with shipping included. It would be more for me because I'm further away. You should be able to do better than $16,400.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by AlienHHR
My problem is that my needs are very specific, so chances are slim that I will find my HHR on a dealers lot (there's not a lot of profit in a stripped down base model). Additionally, the LS does not seem to be very popular around here. I have seen many LT's at the 4 Chevy dealers here locally and many more using the GM vehicle search. But I've only come across a handful of the LS's and those were loaded up with extras that I can't afford. I am on a tight budget and just adding the auto trans is a luxury. And I wouldn't be getting that except the wife can no longer drive a manual.

I think I'll hit up three of the internet sales guys for a quote and see if their "out the door" price can beat my buying service quote. If they can, I'll try and use that as leverage or simply take the offer. Either way, unless somebody is about to take delivery on an HHR specifically the way I want it, I'll probably be ordering one from Mexico.

I know what you mean and the tight budget. We bought a 1LT with the boards. That is the only option we wanted. Getting the color we wanted was the tough part here in Arizona. What I did was sent out emails to about 8 dealers local and 1 about 3 hours away. Told them what I wanted in the car. Then told them send me your out the door price and what options are on any car close to that. Make sure they know that you have researched everything and know what you want and are talking about. Make sure you state you want the "out the door" price not msrp price. And do not give them any trade in information when you first email them.

Good luck, this worked for me and we are happy with everything. Dealer even got us a better deal with gmac than the bank we was going to go with.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:58 AM

http://www.carsdirect.com/home

try this website. it will send the info that you want to a local dealership and you should be in contact with the internet sales manager. on the second hhr we did a little more research and we got an lt with auto, remote start, satin chrome package, for 16,400 before we drop 3 grand down on it. msrp was 18000 on the sticker.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:29 AM

$500 discount.

Chevy is knocking $500 off any HHR purchased by April 4th if it is in stock. That would be on top of the discount you have already worked out with the dealer. Sounds like a good deal right now.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:25 AM

I got my 1LT (sticker price $19,005) with bright chrome trim, 2.4L, side air bags, and ABS - 5-speed trans - for $17,350. My dealer did a computer search and had the car shipped from another dealer. My only concession was that I wanted a different color. Given the discount I was offered, the color wasn't that much of a factor in the buying decision. You might be better off shopping LTs and hold out for a discount. Be sure to order running boards with your HHR. You will be glad you did when you don't have to repaint your rear quarter panels from road crud damage!

Last edited by GeeMac; 03-21-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ssrodder
Chevy is knocking $500 off any HHR purchased by April 4th if it is in stock. That would be on top of the discount you have already worked out with the dealer. Sounds like a good deal right now.
Can anybody confirm this? I checked chevy's site and don't see any mention of it.

Quick Reply: Price Opinion