General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

problem with key fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

I hear ya, $12.94 is not a Big investment, it is the point. If no-one calls these sellers on this kinda thing. They just count the $$... And keeping selling stuff they know won't do what it says.
Things I sell either here or Fee-Bay, I make sure it is what I've described it as, & Stand behind it..
Old 08-03-2020, 09:28 PM

There is a hint on the packaging that they may need professional programming. But you can certainly try.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie
I have no idea the traditional cost to get remotes programmed. There was a company selling car remotes at Sam's Club recently. At first they said they couldn't just program my remotes. Then that chatted amongst themselves and said they could do it for $75. Sounded sketchy at that point and I walked away.
Any mechanic or person or shop with a SnapOn scanner can program your fobs.
Here is a thread of when I did mine that cost me $15 for 2.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...ing-fob-60201/
Old 08-10-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie
I bought them because it said I could easily program them myself.
They lied and it worked out just fine for them. They will offer you a refund if you ship them back to China at a cost to you that’s more than you paid.

Before you file negative feedback, you should initiate communication with the seller and complain that the fob could not be programmed by you, and therefor “not as described.” Use those exact words, “not as described.” Write all communication assuming EBay conflict resolution is reading it because they will. This item should cost you nothing, including return shipping, because it was “not as described.” If they do not offer a full refund and let you keep them, or pay for the return shipping report them to EBay, “not as described.” That’s EBay’s nice way of saying fraudulent.

I bought a pair like that knowing I could not program them because I needed one case and it was the cheapest option. The case worked fine and solved my worn-out button issues. I did not request a refund or complain.

Later I needed a remote for another HHR so I took one to a dealer for programming, knowing full well it might not work. Sure enough, they could not do it, but had agreed to only charge me if they could. Guess it was a slow day. Also always been a very fair dealer. They offered me a new GM fob for $125 plus tax, programmed. The price of these things is all over the place, apparently.

WATCH OUT FOR LOCKSMITHS. I took a GM car with push-button start, running perfectly with one fob, to a locksmith for a second remote. They charged me for the fob, never got it to work, returned the car in limp mode with dozens of codes, claimed it was the car and refused a refund. They were using third-party tools and did not have access to the resources they needed to fix the problems they caused. Do not give access to your car’s computer to just anyone.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:52 PM

Well, except the statement on the packaging "may require dealer programming". Most of them say that somewhere in the ebay listing.

Like this:

from this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-For-15114....c100752.m1982
Old 08-12-2020, 04:24 AM

I'm gonna see if my auto body guy can do it. I have known him 30+ years.