General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Problems insuring my SS not the usual problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Problems insuring my SS not the usual problems

When I bought my SS a few weeks ago I called my insurance company to add it to my policy. First they kept telling me that the vin I was giving was not a valid vin number. I re-read it about 6 times until the ins rep asked where I was reading it from. I told him the registration. He told me it was wrong and made me go out to the car and read it directly off the vin plate. Same number so again he said it was not a valid vin. He ended up giving up and just asked me about 100 questions about the car and did a manual override. About a week later I got my new ins cards and a letter telling me that the alarm discount was removed because HHR's do not have a factory alarm system. I called again and had to argue with the ins rep for 30 minutes about the fact that I did have an alarm. I finally went outside and set off the alarm and held the phone to the grill for several seconds....again, manual override and got the discount back. Saved me $222 dollars a year by dropping the 04 Impala SS and adding the HHR-SS. This was a surprise since the HHR is far more "high performance" then the Impala, but I guess the insurance company doesnt see it that way...not complaining though.

Anyhow, did anyone else have problems with the insurance company not recognizing there vin or the fact that the car came with an alarm?

I have a major insurance company,

SPPD

Note: Cyclic Hardover's post reminded me of this with the alarm post.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM

No problems here. I have State Farm. Was suprised going from a 2007 1LT to a 2008 SS only added around $8/month.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

I think there is another thread somewhat related.

I tried to renew my insurance, with the same company (when that specializes in retirees), approximately 1 year ago. The insurance double in price. I said....wait a minute....senior citizen, no tickets, no accidents (both over 40 years), no comp claims, 2 driving course certifications and it more than doubled in price. The company said, "weel some things go up". Checked around, but went back to State Farm for about $300/6mo (it was $948/ann. for the unnamed company). Then when I added an addition car to the NEW State Farm policy, the HHR went down another $45.

Well long story short....

Found out the first company had no idea what they were talking about.....they had listed my HHR with a 5.3 ltr V8....yeah, I wish. But they also listed 4-5 other "available" engines (not).

So, my point is...sometimes it just takes companies some time to catch up.....consider the aftermarket parts availablilityfor the HHR, as an example.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Some times it takes a while for insurance companies to get updated vin# information.

The SS is not termendous to insure. It gets a high Performance surcharge and a much higher symbol than the 2.2/2.4 versions.

It is better to insure by a little compared to my GTO. It's pretty close to the non ZO6 vettes.

Hard to hide 260hp/ 3200lbs
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

they had listed my HHR with a 5.3 ltr V8....yeah, I wish. But they also listed 4-5 other "available" engines (not).
They were confused and thought it was an SSR maybe. SSR has 5.3
Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
Some times it takes a while for insurance companies to get updated vin# information.

The SS is not termendous to insure. It gets a high Performance surcharge and a much higher symbol than the 2.2/2.4 versions.

It is better to insure by a little compared to my GTO. It's pretty close to the non ZO6 vettes.

Hard to hide 260hp/ 3200lbs
Your already modding it? I have to hear what this sounds like?

I was actually surprised that the SS was more to insure than our Yukon or our Jeep Rubicon.

I need a new agent. Wonder where I can find one of those?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 PM

I had the same exact problem with my insurance company. Kept telling me my SS's VIN didn't exist. I told them I must have a magic car then.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Pretty sure the HHR SS is just listed as an HHR. At least that's the way it's on my policy, no SS, no High performance. I pay like $88 a month.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM

I was pulled over on Sunday and the cop couldn't find my SS from the vin number in his system. He kept asking for more paperwork. Then finally just copied from the vin plate. Allstate didn't have a problem with it though. I don't understand it.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
They were confused and thought it was an SSR maybe. SSR has 5.3
I could buy that except......

the other engines were

3.4 ltr, 3.8 ltr, 4.3 ltr. other that the to "stock" engines. The 2.0 wasn't listed at that time.

Besides, once you give them the VIN, they know the engine, make, country, model, etc..... That's probably where insurance companies are experiencing problems. When they punch the numbers in, it spits back 2.0 ltr, SS and they say whaaaaaaa!! The quote sheets aren't up to date with the VIN tables.

Quick Reply: Problems insuring my SS not the usual problems