General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Purchase Decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Purchase Decision

I know going on a HHR forum asking if I should buy a HHR is pretty lame but here goes;
I was looking for a new-ish and saw the HHR...I don't know much about cars, but both me and my wife really liked the looks of this one. A mint green HHR. Very retro indeed. I need a car that can hold a lot of surfboards and kiteboarding gear.

I have never bought a new or newish car before. What should I look out for? They've all been worn out surfmobiles at different stages of death :-)

Cars are not my hobby, but I'd like something that is reliable and safe so after browsing and looking at reviews the HHR has still not turned me off.

I was figuring getting the side impact thingys, anything else?

I don't need a big enging..this Island is that big anyways.
I think I can get a good offer from an dealer on one of the other islands...what would be the drawback of this? The local dealer had $6k markup, which was quite a lot. In general what should I expect to pay for the HHR? I tried through Costco, and the prices they presented was a lot more realsonable.

If I go with a basic model, what will it cost to add on roof rack etc?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 PM

1)it must be custom painted, because I have never seen a green color offeredon a HHR.

2)dont let the fact that many message boards like this(or for any car) tend to have many posts about problems/concerns/questions. But that is most likely because people rarily come on to a message board and discuss their joy, happiness, pleasure, satisfaction, or awe...because most of us already KNOW about the good stuff...we just tend to ask/complain about something that wasnt good...that's all.

3)I am happy with my 06. I just bought it 3 weeks ago. it drives great, looks fantastic, and has enough power to keep even ME happy(believe me...I've never been happy with less than 250hp...until now)

4)keep looking...check in to GM discounts and rebates as well as looking at used models...mine has 33k on it...if the odometer didnt tell me that, I would think it had 6k, both in condition and driveability.

5)I know your gas is very expensive compared to the mainland, so having a economical car helps justify the expense. If you'll be hauling gear, and cruising the island's hill country, look for a 2.4...they have a little more pep than the 2.2
Old 01-20-2008, 11:33 PM

mahalo, tautologies. Me thinks it is gonna be hard to get around any price mark ups on any given vehicle the dealer deems popular. Keep shopping and hopefully you will find the right one. I do think an HHR will be a great surfers car. Stick some wood grain on the sides and break out the old surf tunes.Better yet, maybe listen to braddah Iz. Everyone is Ohana here so feel free to ask anything.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
1)it must be custom painted, because I have never seen a green color offeredon a HHR.
Could be the Teal green
Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 PM

I've had my panel since August. Not a single problem. 30MPG. Went back to my surf days...car wise that is. When I surfed I had vans and wagons.

Pricing in HI is a different animal then on the mainland. You don't have as many dealers so prices stay higher. Good luck on your search. Drive the HHR and push it hard on the test drive like you would normally drive and see for yourself how it does.

Name:  HHRSIDELowered.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  55.2 KB
Old 01-21-2008, 12:30 AM

Angry Welcome!!!

the only thing I am thinking is how jealous I am that you are in sunny Hawaii & I am stuck here in the sub zero temperatures of Illinois!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 70
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 AM

enjoy the site, hope you find a good deal on one! there are a few surf wagons on here, take a look around!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Welcome, Mint green? also think you are referring to the '07 Teal Color which was only used that year. Looking for prices go to Kelly Blue Book,or Edmonds, for idea on prices. For price of '08 HHR look at chevy.com roof rack are $150 option when ordered , cross bars are over $220 extra from chevy but search around and you can get them cheaper. At the top of this forum page you will find a SEARCH button. click it and type in roof racks, and you should find infor that has been posted on this site.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM

If it is/was this color, it is the Golden teal...2007 ONLY color.

Name:  IMG_1488.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  79.9 KB

But to me, THIS is "mint green"

either color would look GREAT with a couple surf boards strapped to the roof!

Quick Reply: Purchase Decision