General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Quality

I have an 07 LT with 47000 miles on the clock.
It's starting get a lot of rattles and squeaks. Some rattles are intermittent while other simply wont go away. One behind the glove box is driving us mad and defies finding to fix.

I'm starting to think this car is rubbish. I also have a 08 Mitsubishi Lancer which is light years ahead on quality and performance. I love the look of the HHR but what with brake problems, surge problems and rattles I think it's not long for this world.

What does everyone think about the quality of their HHR?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM

Considering from what I can see the price difference between the two cars you are hardly comparing the same class of car. I have no problems with my 06 HHR. It is what I would expect for the price of the vehicle.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 PM

My 2 cents on HHR quality. I've got 25k on my '07 2LT. Front end/steering rattles/clunks/thuds/etc. have driven me crazy from day one. It's not a deal breaker but annoying for sure. My dealer has failed on repairing this properly. They no longer acknowledge the noises. They're full of crap. One year left on the warranty - thank God.
I love the rest of the car and feel it will hold up well. It looks like the day I brought it home and shows no wear of any kind. I still look back at it every time I park it!
GM (like all auto makers) still skimp in some areas to keep cost down but we do enjoy some features that some Japanese brands don't include as standard or optional like auto headlights (not available on Nissan Rogue and many others) as one example. For the money, the HHR is a great buy.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM

I'm 48, have had 16 cars, and this is one of the best I've driven in its class. That is why I own it.

Quality? I test drove and researched a lot of vehicles before I decided to purchase the HHR. Imports, GM, Ford, Chrysler and even considered purchasing a Bus Pass. Nothing came close to the quility that the Chev had, in my humble opinion.

If I am disappointed in anything about the HHR, it's those dam cup holders.

Great on gas, great looking, drives very well, excellent sound system, quiet, cool, easy to park and holds a heck of a lot of cargo.

Started every time it was parked outside in last years Canadian winter (didn't have to plug in the block heater either).

I found the Japanese imports were built for a smaller type of human. I found all the other imports a little over priced for what you got. I'm happy I purchased a quality North American vehicle and have had no trouble (except for the front stabilizer whatever).

Great little car, just wished I would have purchased an SS.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM

I'm very pleased with mine so far. 32k on an '06. No rattles. A friend had a Corrola for a while and comparing the two was interesting. I find the fit and finish of the HHR to be every bit as good. Every Honda I've ridden in has more rattles than most GMs I've owned. And the HHR certainly isn't boring, plus there are more options available. Aside from the common issue with the front brakes, I've only had a couple of very minor problems. All taken care of under warranty. The second time with the the brakes I just replaced them myself with higher quality parts from NAPA.

Overall, there isn't a car in this price range that's as good.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM

54K miles on my '06 LT1. No complaints from me as far as reliability. It does what I want it to do, gets good mileage with no squeaks or rattles.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Thumbs up

Love my panel!!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM

I've got over 40,000 on my '08 LS bought back in April with 34,000 on it. It still looks and runs great. There's no telling how hard the first 30,000 miles were since in was a rental
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM

I am not sure what it is. Often it is the same people with most of the problems here.

I do not know if they just got one that just was not screwed together right? Over sensitive or a little of both.

This is not a bash at anyone but In general here most have few if any issues and even if they do have one often it is repaired and we here no more.

The biggest issue I see is poor work at some dealers. That one is easy to fix and just find another dealer if the one you have is not giving good service.

I do not dought some have many issues but I have seen this on many cars imported or not. The bad part is the imported ones often are not easy or cheap to fix. I have friends who make good livings off of Honda's and Toyota's that do fail.

Just change the rear plugs on a Lexus RX 350. Pulling the intake to replace failed pug coils is not well designed or a good thing with low mileage. Just saw that one a couple months ago. Someone paid $40K plus for that vehicle only to have issues. You do not want to know the labor on that one.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 AM

I replaced the rotors on our 06 and that solved the warped rotor issue I was having. Never an issue with the 08.

Both HHRs are just fine, no issues, rattles, etc. The 06 is getting close to 60K miles.

Quick Reply: Quality