General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by photojoed80
My 2 cents on HHR quality. I've got 25k on my '07 2LT. Front end/steering rattles/clunks/thuds/etc. have driven me crazy from day one. It's not a deal breaker but annoying for sure. My dealer has failed on repairing this properly. They no longer acknowledge the noises. They're full of crap. One year left on the warranty - thank God.
I love the rest of the car and feel it will hold up well. It looks like the day I brought it home and shows no wear of any kind. I still look back at it every time I park it!
GM (like all auto makers) still skimp in some areas to keep cost down but we do enjoy some features that some Japanese brands don't include as standard or optional like auto headlights (not available on Nissan Rogue and many others) as one example. For the money, the HHR is a great buy.
If it did this from day one, why did you buy it? I would have told them, fix this and I'll buy it. Not deal with it after. Or did you not test drive it before your purchase?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Brucet
I also have a 08 Mitsubishi Lancer which is light years ahead on quality and performance.
I've never heard the words quality and Mitsubishi ever mentioned together.....
Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I've never heard the words quality and Mitsubishi ever mentioned together.....
One of my first cars was a 1978 Plymouth Sapporo (also a MT 5sp) made by Mitsubishi-it was a great car till it just wore out. I bought it with 90,000 miles and put another 60 or 70K on it. But this was also a time when cars were expected to be "done" at 100,000.

I was always impressed with the "innovative" features it had for its time-things that did not show up on GMs (Chevrolets) for several years. Single key access (remember GM's square and round keys?), lighted key locks and ignition when you pulled on the door handle; power remote mirrors. My parents had a '82 or '83 Imapla at the time that had none of those features.

Since then, I've bought/owned several Chevy's and Olds (never owned another Mitsu), but still kind of fondly remember that car.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kinison_fan
One of my first cars was a 1978 Plymouth Sapporo (also a MT 5sp) made by Mitsubishi-it was a great car till it just wore out. I bought it with 90,000 miles and put another 60 or 70K on it. But this was also a time when cars were expected to be "done" at 100,000.
I never fell for that, I had a 76 Mazda 808 that had well over 150K on it when I sold it to buy a 79 Mustang that I drove for 14 years. To be honest, I don't remember how many times the odometer rolled over. I had that during my AF career, so everywhere I get stationed, it went with me.

The Mustang had a few neat little features, the clock also showed the date, and had a built in stopwatch. Next to all that was a picture of the car and it would indicate when a light was not working.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
If it did this from day one, why did you buy it? I would have told them, fix this and I'll buy it. Not deal with it after. Or did you not test drive it before your purchase?
Ok, you caught me eggagerating a little. How about within the first month - virtually since it was new with less than 1000 miles on it. It's been in at least 5 times for the front end noises. They don't take it seriously. If it were their own car, it would get fixed properly. I've read of these problems over and over again and dealerships fail to fix these problems permanantly for many owners. Does that make it more clear?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM

06 LS with a built date of 07/04/05, 68K+ and still love it! No brake repaire still same pads & rear shoes, Just oil & filter at change oil soon time and one set of tires. It has some sqeaks and grones when it is cold outside but as it warms up it like myself gets on with life and has fun driving it around with a smile on my/its face
Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 AM

I think some of you guys need to go and have a look at new Mitsubishis. The features list is far longer than the HHR. Quality of build is far better.
Yes all makers have problems.
My HHR is slowly falling to pieces. It was great 12 months ago. Now it has rattles all over.
Don't get me wrong. I still love to drive the HHR even though the performance is far less than the Lancer. The driving position is far better in the HHR and long trips are far more relaxing. With a bit more quality control, a bit less plastic and a bit more power the HHR would be my pick. BUT Chevy have to get their act together. Maybe that's why they are in financial trouble. Too many folks now are looking for quality regardless of how much they love the opposition builders models.
I'll keep my HHR and one day have it turned into to a great custom rod.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM

My 09 LS w/manual transmission is to new to evaluate in it's entirety but so far so good. Comparing it to other GM vehicles or any other vehicles by other manufacturers it's one of the better I have seen for fit, finish, gaps, paint and just about everything except the dealer. My advice, keep the dealer off of it and Ramos Arizpe keep sending them up here or better still let Oshawa start building them the number one Plant in the Corporation for Quality.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 AM

When my lease is up on my G5 I was seriously intending to buy an HHR but I'm having doubts now after following this forum for awhile. In particular, just like photojoed80, I have had front end issues (clunks,rattles,general looseness and two new steering columns) with my 06 G5 from the first month of delivery. After each fix, the car would be good for a few months and the clunking would return. I am now off warranty and the clunking is back! As my car is a direct relative to the HHR, I am nervous about having these same issues with the new car. I treat my cars well and plan on keeping the next car for at least 6 years but I am starting to feel that GM doesn't deserve or care about my loyalty. I have been looking at the Hyundai Elantra Touring and that might be a better choice now. It just makes me kinda sad cause I love the looks of the HHR but quality does count alot...even at this price point.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 AM

I have a friend here who works in a Mitsubishi/ Hyundai dealer. He works in the parts department so he deals with warranties and replacment parts an know what problems these mfg cars both have.

Neither are much different than the HHR or GM quality. Most companies are near equals any more and the public just do not know the truth. Hyundia has has sub frame rust issue that they fix by beating the frame rail and spraying it with wax. Mitus. have assorted clutch problems anoung othert major issues. The stories of people with Evo's getting repair work done and seeing the bill is great.

The funny part is he works at a Hyundia/ Mitsubishi dealer where he can get a discoint but he is shopping for an HHR after see ing mine and how I have had no issues due to quality or build.

I think you will find most times the web focuses on the bumps of only a few but seldom reports the full facts on truth for most brands.

As for your G6 it is not a direct relitive to the HHR is is at best an old cousin. The G6 is on the Epsilon platform and is a direct sister to the Malibu. Now We also have a 08 Malibu in the family and it is by far the best GM car I have ever seen. No noise, no issues and a great car to drive. Not a rattle or clunk from it even with the 18" wheel package.

Anymore the best advice I can give is to look for models based on newer platforms no matter the make as they will the bettert package. Also do not condem most models form any MFG just by what you read on the web. Often a few issue for a small number looks a lot worse than it is. No model is trouble free but few are as bad as you will read about.

Remember no one complains if nothing is wrong. Also keep in mind in the case of the HHR there are going on 400,000 of them on the road now and most are in hands of owners who never had issue or problems. The 06 seem to be the worst offender because of first year issues. GM is delaying the Cruze 3 months to prevent this from happening next year.

Quick Reply: Quality