General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A question about car problems in general

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 06AmethystHHR
my 2006 hhr:

bad wheel bearing at 20k
Electrical problems galore 1k to 50k
Rotors warped, replaced 3 times
sunroof issues multiple times
front struts shot, 40k
and so on

my brand new hhr ss
electrical problems, 5oo miles
electrical problems 800 miles
electrical problems 1500 miles
electrical problems 3000 miles
sunroof problems 4000 miles
issues with the xm radio 50 miles
issues with the entire receiver 150 miles
issues with the car not starting 1500 miles
issues with the delaership ruining the front bumper when it had to be towed 1500 miles
issues with the dealership "wash and detail" with what appeared to be a brillo pad 4000 miles
issues with the dealership adding a door ding to the car 4000 miles
more issues with the sunroof 2 days ago

Yep, chevy where quality is job none.
You can sell it, buy a Toyota, join the Toyota forum and then complain about how your Toyota has fallen apart and slush Toyota about their poor quality.
Oh, if you do that, they will ban you from their forum. It's not allowed to talk down of their vehicles on that site.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:38 AM

seems like rotors have been an issue for gm in the past on diffrent lines of cars. its also one of those things that a dealer says is a wear item so it doesnt usually cover under warrantee. so not much reason for gm to fix the product. but s said i think allot of the issues are a culmination of whast been said, location, driver, quality control, design. im on my 2nd hhr (ss) and in 77k miles 56 on lt2 and 22 on ss ive yet to have any issues with the car, but that really doesnt mean id expect every car to be that way. heck a friend of mines wife bought a saturn in 95? or so and the motor went out on it, the seat broke and the sunroof all in the first year she had it, i was thinking wow those things are just a piece of junk. and here it is 2009 they sold the car, bought the car back from the guy they sold it to and its going on 300k and its a manual and at around the 220k mark it still had the origonal clutch. heck still could be the original clutch in it now for all i know.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Marzipan
Care and maintenance are responsible for many of the complaints aired here.

Obviously there were faults with the early model years that would become evident to some owners.

Warped rotors are known to be caused by incorrectly tightening the wheel nuts. On a p/u I once had new tires installed. When I got home I could not remove the nuts without a lever on the wrench. I'll be installing my HHR wheels myself. I just don't trust the tire boys.

Smell in the cabin can be caused by loaded cabin filter. That has been reported here and it is evident that many of us do not rtfm. We post here first.

Door seal probems - the manual requires regular attention to the seals. How many of us are doing so? What is going to happen if we ignore this?

My advice - rtfm and do the preventative maintenance and don't buy any vehicle in its first 2 years of production.
You make an excellent point there. Maintenace is a big factor in any car. I know I turn my own wrench and have for the past 30 years. I've a had a fairly good track record also. I've never had any major mechanical on any vehicle under 100k miles and and only 1 over that. And that was was not due to any routine maintenance neglect issue. I just got my new torque wrench for fathers day, I will give it a test this weekend and make sure I torqued the 18's down properly when I installed them last Jan, might be the reason I get that occasional shimmy on braking, not always though.

OH, and door seals, I do that, maybe not annually. But I used to live in Montana and learned that wet door seals will freeze to door frames and come off if not coated as neaded.....
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Out of the 6 cars I currently own, the hhr has been by far the least reliable. Hopefully with the fuse box being replaced and a few other wiring issues that will be the last of the issues. I am doubtful though, the sunroof is starting to stick again

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 06-25-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: admin edit.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 06AmethystHHR
Out of the 6 cars I currently own, the hhr has been by far the least reliable. Hopefully with the fuse box being replaced and a few other wiring issues that will be the last of the issues. I am doubtful though, the sunroof is starting to stick again
Your sunroof sticks? Have you tried spraying the tracks with silicone?

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 06-25-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: admin edit
Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Your sunroof sticks? Have you tried spraying the tracks with silicone?
Yes, that was the first thing I did. The problem is the aluminum sound insulation between the roof and the gap where the sunroof rolls back is loose and it is dragging on it. Piss poor assembly by chevy. I have stuck a rod back there and pushed it back up but it came loose again. Instead of taking it back for a poorly trained chevy mechanic to fix it under warranty and end up tearing it up worse than it was when I dropped it off I may just glue it back up myself. It is difficult to access though where it is in that little slot.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM

GM does not install the sun roof. It is sent to an outside company to be installed after assembly. Not GM's fault.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Founding Member

We can all agree that we will disagree, but personal attacks will not be tolerated. 'nuff said.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Founding Member

Gentlemen,

If I have to keep coming to this thread to delete posts I may as well lock it.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Can't we all just get along? Let's focus on the good things: We own the best looking retro vehicle out there! We're not PT Losers!

Quick Reply: A question about car problems in general