General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Questions - New to Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Question Questions - New to Hitches

Hey everyone...

I am looking at getting a hitch for towing a small trailer for moving and for a bike rack.

Here's where I get lost... I know I need to purchase the hitch and wiring harness, but what else will I need to be able to haul? I assume I need to purchase a ball and I think the one I am looking at on etrailer.com has the drawbar included...

Anything else?

Saw all the posts for how-to on installation... very much appreciated!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Hey Tom, other than the things you already mentioned, just need a ball to match the size of the coupler that's on your trailer...some are 1 7/8", some are 2". You can get what's called a convert-a-ball that comes with both sizes, simple pin mechanism changes them out in a minute. Drawbar that comes with the hitch may not always work for your trailer...may need one with a rise or a drop, depending. Objective is to try & keep the trailer level. Also locks for the drawbar & coupler are a good idea.

Last edited by jeffs396; 05-03-2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added content
Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 PM

If you are getting the harness and hidden hitch all you need is the ball. you may want to get an extra drawbar for a second ball. I have a 1-7/8 and a 2" ball for my trailers. one flat trailer for the atv and one is my small utility trailer with sidewalls.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Hello first may I say I am car dumb.... sooo with that out of the way I too am wanting to add a hitch to my HHR so that I can carry my bikes... I have found the video from etrailer.com, but I am afraid to tinker with my car especially something as important sounding as the muffler or drilling into the frame.... would a body shop be able to help me? how much? I am in NC btw... thanks for any help... OH I have a 2006...
Old 05-03-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by goldenlyfe
Hello first may I say I am car dumb.... sooo with that out of the way I too am wanting to add a hitch to my HHR so that I can carry my bikes... I have found the video from etrailer.com, but I am afraid to tinker with my car especially something as important sounding as the muffler or drilling into the frame.... would a body shop be able to help me? how much? I am in NC btw... thanks for any help... OH I have a 2006...
Body Shop I'm not sure about. A place like U-Haul I know installs Hitches. More Info can be found here about hitches and accessories.

http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/

**NOTE: THE LIFETIME WARRANTY CAUGHT MY EYE**
Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by a76marine
Hey everyone...
Anything else?
And one more thing, give your local lic bureau money for a plate.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Not always. In Wisconsin small trailers don't need one, but here in IL they do.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by goldenlyfe
Body shops will do hitches. I had a local shop do mine, they charged me about $50 just for the labor (less than an hour). As far as accessories, in addition to what has already been mentioned you will want:

- hitch plug (protects the inside of the hitch box from corrosion - it'll still get surface rust but shouldn't rot through)
- LOCKING drawbar pin for extra security - Master Lock makes an excellent stainless unit.
- Safety chains for trailer towing, at least two.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Well if I have a trailer I am sure it will be a Uhaul and I am pretty sure those come with plates, correct?

I will purchase one of the bike racks that go into the hitch for regular use. :)

Originally Posted by Desert Coyote
- hitch plug (protects the inside of the hitch box from corrosion - it'll still get surface rust but shouldn't rot through)
- LOCKING drawbar pin for extra security - Master Lock makes an excellent stainless unit.
- Safety chains for trailer towing, at least two.
Thanks... I did see those locking pins and hitch plugs on etrailer.com... not sure if I will go with something subtle or a cool, cheesy one yet.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:36 AM

The hidden hitch comes with a plug, so unless you want something flashy you don't need to buy one.

Quick Reply: Questions - New to Hitches