General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Radio confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:19 AM

Radio confusion

Hello;
I am new to this group and confused. Story of my life.
I am the new proud owner of a 2010 HHR LT. The radio doesn't work sort of. It is the base radio. I have read all or most of the radio posts and it appears the solution is to replace speakers. Well, here's the situation:
The radio only had sound from the small pillar post speakers and that was not noticed at first by my seventy-five year old ears. So I decided to check fuses. As I was searching for the radio fuse, I discovered there was a amplifier fuse. I pulled the amp fuse, looked okay and replaced it. The radio worked! I figured it was just corroded. But when I turned it off, it didn't turn on again. Pulled the amp fuse and replaced it and the radio worked. Next time it didn't. This lead me to suspect a bad amp so I started the search for the amp to check connections. Can't find it. Not in the left rear quarter, not in the spare tire hole. I suspect it is integral with the radio but don't know.
It seems unlikely that all four speakers would quit at once. I doubt they are wired in series. So that brought me back to the amp. The pillar post speakers do work a little.
Do I replace the radio? Buy four speakers? Yep - I'm confused and any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks for your consideration.
Rich the Confused
Old 07-28-2022, 10:27 AM

Hi Rich, to the forums!

Are you saying that you are replacing the fuse with a new fuse, because it blows? Or reinserting the existing fuse?
Old 07-28-2022, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Yes, all 4 speakers can fizzle out all at once, it’s part of the fun of owning an HHR, water gets into the door cavity and the condensation kills the speakers. Lotsa threads about it in the forums.
most replace the OEM speakers and are pleased with the results, some take the opportunity to upgrade the HU and add an amp and a subwoofer.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:06 PM

Radio confusion

Hello;
Thanks for the response. Your question was did the fuse blow. No, the fuse was fine. That is why I reinserted it.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:32 PM

First let’s confirm which speakers you have. The base speakers are the most troublesome - specifically the 4 door speakers, which tend to gradually fail, but the demise of the first or second one might not be noticed. The tweeters in the a-pillar are rarely affected. There are no other speakers. I have never heard of all 4 instantaneously failing all at once. For a speaker to crackle and quit intermittently before going silent altogether is a common report.

I think maybe fuse 6, “Amplifier,” is only present with the “Pioneer Premium” speaker option, also easily recognized by the 7th speaker, a subwoofer, in the cargo bay. Good system, have only heard of one report of speaker failure. Those speakers are powered by a separate amplifier that’s part of the amp/subwoofer assembly; definitely the subwoofer and doors, IDK about the pillar tweeters, but it would seem not.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Yes, if that fuse was fine, the speakers aren’t! Check out Crutchfield for compatible sizes , then either shop with them or buy at BestBuy or Walmart
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-d8ld0nZOU1U/
Old 07-28-2022, 04:23 PM

Well, since you are a new owner, how do you know they didn't go bad one at a time?
Old 07-28-2022, 04:42 PM

Maybe you should look under the left rear qtr ? Since that is where the amp lives, if you have one. That would be UQ3 on the label on the glovebox door.

Not unusual at all for all 4 to quit at the same time, I thought you read most of the radio posts.
If 1 speaker is making a dead short the radio turns the others off.

Last edited by donbrew; 07-28-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:57 PM
Administrator

The amp and subwoofer are behind the panel in the left rear with the Pioneer logo

In there behind that grille
Old 07-28-2022, 05:12 PM

Hello;
The question is: "Since you are the new owner, how do you know they didn't go bad one at a time?" And the answer is: The radio worked at first and then didn't. I know both front and back worked because I was able to adjust fade. When it stopped working, I went to fuses first and discovered the fuse in number six. Yet, I have the base system. No speaker in the rear.

However, there is new information. All four speakers started working again today. No ascribable cause. I suspect a bad connection at the radio/amp or the amp going bad. Again, all four worked, then didn't, and now work again.

Query: Does the base radio system have a separate amp or is it integral?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Radio confusion