General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Really strange thing.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM

Really strange thing.....

Yesterday I used my "clicker" to lock my car and when I came out and went to unlock it using the same "clicker"...the cussed thing wouldn't work....so I got out my owners manual, looked up the "clicker" and it said that if it didn't operate to replace the battery. So on my way home, I swung by my local Radio Shack and got the battery that the manual told me to get (CR2032) put the thing in the "clicker" and nothing! I then drove over to my local Chevy dealer, they said that the "clicker" needed to be reprogrammed, they then got out there scanner, hooked it up, and it proceeds to fail reprogramming my "clicker" three times....now then, the service guy says that my "clicker" is probably bad, even though the guy in the parts department checked it out on that little tester that they use, he said it was working properly....now then the service guy tells me to bring the car back in the morning, they will get a new "clicker" and life will be good again.....I went back this morning as instructed, they do their little thing and still nothing.....neither "clicker" will talk to the car. So they did some more stuff, and they determined that I have an open circuit somewhere in the car that is preventing the "clicker" from talking to the car.....so now my car is still there, with about six techs trying to figure out just what is wrong, and they gave me this piece of crap Regal to drive.....so now it is just a waiting game.

On now to my question for you here.....have any of you experienced anything like this in the past with your car? Maybe some sort of inclinging of hope that I can relay to the guys that are standing around scratching their heads and other assorted body parts, waiting for the answer to come to them in some sort of vision!

Thanx...Anita
Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
jx3

One of my remotes went bad in November. Didn't get around to having the dealer check it out until I had to go to the dealer for an unrelated issue. The remote was diagnosed as bad and they replaced free under warranty.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Mine failed to pop the lock, so I just used the key to get in. Of course the alarm went off until I put the key in the ignition switch. I drove home and used my other remote which worked fine. I opened the back (A PITA) and replaced the battery (my garage door opener uses the same battery) and it still didn't work. I put the old battery back in and the remote started working. I'm thinking that it was just a bad contact in the battery slot.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 PM

I reprogrammed my old Zenith remote control (a real "clicker") to unlock and lock my HHR. It's a little big in the pocket but it also opens all the neighbor's garage doors and I can point it at red lights and change them to green. It's really great.

Here's what it looks like:
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM

See if my wife's "clicker" will work on your HHR

Name:  WomensRemote447x600.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  39.4 KB
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Smile Remote's

I've had both remote's replaced under warranty twice now in 35,000
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Got my car back yesterday afternoon and here is what they told me....sounds kind of hokie to me, but it seems to have worked. They said that in order to get my clicker to program, they had to program a new one first...since I only have the one clicker.....the computer wanted two.....so they used a new one to program first then they were able to program mine.....now that makes no sense to me what so ever, but as long as my clicker is now working....I guess that's all that really matters....they also asked me if I wanted the other clicker since it was programmed to my car, I said is it free he told me it was $82.00 and I told him that they could keep it...I can get one off ebay for a fraction of that cost.....of course I'll have to spend another40-60 bucks to get it programmed....

Anyway....wanted to share with you what they did to fix my problem, just in case anyone else should ever run into this issue....

Thanx...Anita
Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

I believe it has been mentioned a couple of times that you should take both remotes and the car to the dealer, when requesting a re-programming.

Could be wrong, however.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 AM

Glad you got it fixed.

Being near you, out of curiosity, what dealer was it?

BTW, PM or email me if you are interested in any local GTGs. A few of us have met up occasionally for good times & BS'n.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM

Most GM vehicles now come with 2 key fobs. The vehicle knows the difference between the two. The DIC will even tell you when the battery is getting low in one of the key fobs. The fobs for our '06 2500HD has numbers on the back. In some GM vehicles, the fobs are directly connected to the seat/settings memory so that when a fob unlocks or starts the vehicle, the vehicle sets itself to whichever memory is appropriate. This is why the firmware looks for 2 fobs -- HHRs may not have all those bells and whistles, but they do all come from the same engineering and software tree.

Quick Reply: Really strange thing.....