General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear Parking Asssit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Founding Member

I don't think I have the brochure anymore but last summer GM was stating they were going to offer the backup mirror on the 2009 HHR, It just never happened. It was supposed to be available in December 2008, but never was for whatever reason.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/rearview-camera-18547/
Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Why does everything have to involve the government?? You want one install it, why get the government to make the manufacturers install them on all vehicles?? That's why we have stuff like mandatory ABS, mandatory TCS etc. Useful, yes but some people would rather not have all that stuff and in addition all it does is make the cost of vehicles go up and then people act like it's the fault of the manufacturer that the car costs more.
I just find it sad [and no direct reflection on anyone here] that people find it necessary to have to have these aids just to drive an HHR.

I can see them on a large Camper with no rear window or bus but an HHR or other small vehicle? I would like to think the minimum level of driving skill would include backing an HHR up.

What scares me is when you see the sensors in the bumper and still see a pole mark in the bumper. That is one car to stay away from. Just saw one yesterday.

I have alway said that Helmet Laws, Seat Belt Laws and Air Bag Laws have lowered the averge IQ of society. We used to thin the heard before these laws by those who were not smart enough to wear them on their own.

Just my view on driver skill in general not just HHR drivers.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Have you seen the blind spots when you drive a panel?? My wife who drives everything including having driven a dump truck to put herself through college drove the panel once and said no more.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Have you seen the blind spots when you drive a panel?? My wife who drives everything including having driven a dump truck to put herself through college drove the panel once and said no more.
I used to drive a company many company trucks that were much harder than a panel.

Drive a Dodge Ram Van 1/2 ton with only the windshield , driver and passenger door windows only. The two mirrows were only 4 x 6 inches. that one was fun in lane changes.

You lear to use the mirrors and learn the blind spots. You also know not to back up as far as you think you can. Just always come up short.

Believe it or not my Fiero has a greater blind spot than my HHR. The new Challanger is even worse.

Like all things you need to adapt to some vehicles and in time you learn or should learn where to watch.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:09 AM

I have both the parking assist and a camera on my motorhome. I don't trust the parking assist, and never really seen a great value of it other than a secondary safety device. On the otherhand, I swear by the camera and rely on it when backing up. The camera is not fooled by dirt, snow, rain or blowing folage like the parking assist is.

That would be my choice if I ever considered a parking device. Aftermarket backup cams are now available with the cam mounted in a license plate frame.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I just find it sad [and no direct reflection on anyone here] that people find it necessary to have to have these aids just to drive an HHR.

I can see them on a large Camper with no rear window or bus but an HHR or other small vehicle? I would like to think the minimum level of driving skill would include backing an HHR up.

What scares me is when you see the sensors in the bumper and still see a pole mark in the bumper. That is one car to stay away from. Just saw one yesterday.

I have alway said that Helmet Laws, Seat Belt Laws and Air Bag Laws have lowered the averge IQ of society. We used to thin the heard before these laws by those who were not smart enough to wear them on their own.

Well, I was backing into a dark pole barn and let me tell you, that's hard to see how close to things you are, because I accidentally hit a ladder...luckily it didn't scratch or anything. It has nothing to do with driving skill, sometimes there are situations when you can't see directly behind you very well. There are times when you HAVE to back as close as you can to things....
Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 AM

everyone has their opinions, but the parent thought it was clear, however the toddler wandered behind the vehicle.

I actually am surprised by some of the response, for me one childs death is too many, and if the child wanders into a drivers blind spot, and the backup assist would alert them. how is that so wrong?

In 1999, approximately 25,000 children ages 14 and under suffered motor vehicle-related pedestrian injuries.
Children ages 1 to 2 suffer the highest number of pedestrian injuries, most often when a vehicle is backing up.
Most backup accidents are by a relative or friend of the family

I dont like the government mandating what to do either, but considering the low cost, as compared to a camera system, it is worth it. and as stated it is not even an option on the HHR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcYhSV62SuU

Originally Posted by hyperv6

Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by stephenm
everyone has their opinions, but the parent thought it was clear, however the toddler wandered behind the vehicle.

I actually am surprised by some of the response, for me one childs death is too many, and if the child wanders into a drivers blind spot, and the backup assist would alert them. how is that so wrong?

In 1999, approximately 25,000 children ages 14 and under suffered motor vehicle-related pedestrian injuries.
Children ages 1 to 2 suffer the highest number of pedestrian injuries, most often when a vehicle is backing up.
Most backup accidents are by a relative or friend of the family

I dont like the government mandating what to do either, but considering the low cost, as compared to a camera system, it is worth it. and as stated it is not even an option on the HHR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcYhSV62SuU

I fully agree that 1 child lost is one too many. My RV'ing jaunts take me to various places where small children are always present. My point is that a parking assist can fail, and in that case it will not sound (rather than the other way around). This can be catastrophic under the wrong circumstances. If a camera fails, you know it. In the case of a cam system failure, you should stop your vehicle and check behind it for children. I'd rather SEE the child rather than hopefully hear an electronic sound if they were present. And with today's technology, a backup camera runs about $99.00 while a sensor runs about $69.00. Not much more for much more piece of mind.
http://www.backupsensorshop.com/New_RearView_Camera.asp
http://www.backupsensorshop.com/Car_Backup_QH24SM.asp
Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 PM

I wanted a Panel for my business vehicle, but decided against it after just sitting in it and looking around, didn't even have to drive it. Still wish the standard HHR had better visibility - I will adapt.

I don't have much trouble with the rear of the vehicle where a camera or the sensors could/would work, but the right rear side. I want to replace that right rear view mirror with something.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
I don't have much trouble with the rear of the vehicle where a camera or the sensors could/would work, but the right rear side. I want to replace that right rear view mirror with something.
After a week of owning my HHR, I got two of those round convex mirrors for the lower corners of my side mirrors. They really give you a wide, and lower view around you.

I had them on my pick up, and got so used to them, I missed them when I bought the HHR.

Quick Reply: Rear Parking Asssit?