General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear Power Plug for Converters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Rear Power Plug for Converters?

I was flipping through my manual today and found this page.

Can anyone tell me more about it. It is page 3-21 in my 08 Manual. Sorry for the bad photo, quick shot with the iSight.

"Rear Power Plug for Converters

Your vehicle may have a power plug connector located in the rear cargo area on the passenger side behind the service panel. The power connector wiring can be accessed by removing the service panel to begin installation."

It then goes on to tell what to put in there and power rating and all that. So i went down and popped the panel off and i found the wiring for the tail lights, 3rd brake light, some other wires etc. But i didn't find any plug connector. I figured it should be hanging loose since it should have nothing in it. I didn't have a flash light but need to take one down to look again. I'm just curious of who has one of these. I figured since i have a pretty decked out 2LT model, that i might have one, but i didn't feel one. Had my hand all over inside the body panel, pillar, floor, etc. I thought it would be cool to install a converter in here since it seems to be what its for...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 PM

I saw that when I also I got my 08, and thought that since the manual covers all the 08's that maybe the Panel's had it.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM

i was wondering if it was panels too, but was hoping mine had it. seems pretty easy to do it to all of them, at least in my mind.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 PM

I too was looking for that plug. I will be watching this to see where it is if it is.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 PM

ok, so i really wish the manual would tell me more about this. i just went out to the car with my big LED light stick and opened up the panel and looked around in there. So amongst all the wires going to various places and where they attach to the body, 2 of them came off and and like O rings on the end of it and these were bolted to the frame.

Would these be 2 leads that you could take off and attach to a converter, i know my converter has a place that those would attach, but i wouldn't do it with out knowing for sure first. Or is it a ground for something out and i shouldn't touch them. I'm thinking it's not a ground since there is 2 of them.

I'll try to take a photo tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by twistrman
So amongst all the wires going to various places and where they attach to the body, 2 of them came off and and like O rings on the end of it and these were bolted to the frame.

Would these be 2 leads that you could take off and attach to a converter, i know my converter has a place that those would attach, but i wouldn't do it with out knowing for sure first. Or is it a ground for something out and i shouldn't touch them. I'm thinking it's not a ground since there is 2 of them.

I'll try to take a photo tomorrow.
But if they are currently running 12 volt thru them, why would they be bolted to the frame????? Sounds like grounds to me. Do you have a multi-meter to check with......or at least a power "pick", line tester, or whatever.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM

i don't have anything like that. If i was at my parents my dad could check it but that won't be for a few weeks. My dad will be here in a week, and could do it since he's a semi mechanic, but i doubt he'd remember the meter, the old guy is forgetful.

I guess i'll keep on wondering until someone else knows something about it. I tried to google it and got jack skippy.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:11 PM

If they were BOLTED to the frame they have to be ground wires, 2 wires from two different sources is not unusual, but no way they could be alive and attached to the frame.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

agreed ^^^^^^and my point exactly.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:46 AM

I will have to check my manual. I think my 07 manual also mentions it.
Which would be cool to have back there.

Quick Reply: Rear Power Plug for Converters?