General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 02:25 PM

Rear Sway Bar

I noticed sometimes some of you have had problems with the front suspension on the Chevy Hhr being a bit heavy. I recently found a product to balance it out and give a better ride. Add a rear sway bar to your HHR and it will dramatically improve the ride. The I bought is from Progressive Technologies. It's about $230. It is worth the price. My HHR rides almost like brand new. It's a good modification to your vehicle and is simple to install.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I’ve had a TTR rear swaybar on my HHR’s since 2012, put on many miles and enjoyed the improvement to the ride , in corners, in a crosswind, and braking.

https://www.turbotechracing.com/prod...idproduct=5148

Speaking of which , you might be interested in upgrading the front brakes on you LS or LT to SS non Brembo rotors , very easy upgrade to larger diameter rotors

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...ard-hhr-42938/
Old 08-14-2022, 01:04 PM

GM tends to build understeer into their cars, I think for safety reasons. Adding a sway bar in the rear will at minimum reduce that and could reverse that and cause oversteer, which is especially dangerous to unskilled and untrained drivers.

So if you modify the handling properties of a car with springs and sway bars (and even tires,) you should know what you’re doing and why.

Much is made of “independent” suspensions. The HHR front suspension would have that except that it has a swaybar. The rear is not independent; it is a torsion beam design which effectively has an integral sway bar. Making the beam torsionally stiffer would be the exact same thing as adding the sway bar.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
GM tends to build understeer into their cars, I think for safety reasons. Adding a sway bar in the rear will at minimum reduce that and could reverse that and cause oversteer, which is especially dangerous to unskilled and untrained drivers.

So if you modify the handling properties of a car with springs and sway bars (and even tires,) you should know what you’re doing and why.

Much is made of “independent” suspensions. The HHR front suspension would have that except that it has a swaybar. The rear is not independent; it is a torsion beam design which effectively has an integral sway bar. Making the beam torsionally stiffer would be the exact same thing as adding the sway bar.
Yeah, and sometimes if you a medium stiffness sway bar like I did, it compensates for the small drift of the back and heaviness of the front end. It made my cornering work better.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

When the HHR's first came out in 2006, owners discovered the benefits of adding a sway bar. Then during the SS years, 2008-2010, lots of us owners(me included) put sway bars on our HHR's.
Yes it does tighten up the feel in the corners. Lessens the body roll when pulling some G's.
I've had my sway bar on my SS for around 12 years now. I think most people that wanted them got them many years ago.
There were many threads that talked about this. You would probably have to search the archives.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:10 AM

This one? https://www.progressauto.com/product...-anti-sway-bar

Old 08-15-2022, 01:06 PM

Yep, that pic is the one!
Old 08-27-2022, 02:33 PM

Is the Progress bar an add-on or a replacement for the stock bar? The website says it's a replacement, but it looks similar to the TTR bar (on back order until at least October).
Old 08-27-2022, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MILESJOHNSSON
Is the Progress bar an add-on or a replacement for the stock bar? The website says it's a replacement, but it looks similar to the TTR bar (on back order until at least October).
It is an add on to the rear of the vehicle because the vehicle is not originally designed with a sway bar. Only one in the front. I just got tired of my HHR leaning when I turn. It also helps balance out the weight between the front and back of the car.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by David1965d
It is an add on to the rear of the vehicle because the vehicle is not originally designed with a sway bar. Only one in the front. I just got tired of my HHR leaning when I turn. It also helps balance out the weight between the front and back of the car.
There is a rear "torsion bar" (basically the same thing) already. I was trying to find out how it fits next to that, but I figured it out from their website pic.
After having an unpleasant "dance" across the freeway because of some Bimmer douche trying to hit me, I've have enough of the spongy back end. I don't want the thicker rear sway bar like the zzperformance offering, because I don't want to have to add a bunch of other new parts to prevent lift-off (snap) oversteer. I have an 08 2.2LT, recently replaced tires, front struts, control arms, and front sway bar links. I have new shocks for the back, probably put those on when I get the sway bar. I drive 115 miles 2-3 times a week, almost all freeway, and I need to be able to quickly avoid the idiots.

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar