General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by MILESJOHNSSON
There is a rear "torsion bar" (basically the same thing) already. I was trying to find out how it fits next to that, but I figured it out from their website pic.
After having an unpleasant "dance" across the freeway because of some Bimmer douche trying to hit me, I've have enough of the spongy back end. I don't want the thicker rear sway bar like the zzperformance offering, because I don't want to have to add a bunch of other new parts to prevent lift-off (snap) oversteer. I have an 08 2.2LT, recently replaced tires, front struts, control arms, and front sway bar links. I have new shocks for the back, probably put those on when I get the sway bar. I drive 115 miles 2-3 times a week, almost all freeway, and I need to be able to quickly avoid the idiots.
The Progress Technology one will help you with that. It helps me turn quicker and get out of the way. It makes my HHR safer too. Better braking like someone else mentioned.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:03 PM

Spongy rear end might be worn out shocks and/or springs
Old 08-27-2022, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by MILESJOHNSSON
There is a rear "torsion bar" (basically the same thing) already. I was trying to find out how it fits next to that, but I figured it out from their website pic.
After having an unpleasant "dance" across the freeway because of some Bimmer douche trying to hit me, I've have enough of the spongy back end. I don't want the thicker rear sway bar like the zzperformance offering, because I don't want to have to add a bunch of other new parts to prevent lift-off (snap) oversteer. I have an 08 2.2LT, recently replaced tires, front struts, control arms, and front sway bar links. I have new shocks for the back, probably put those on when I get the sway bar. I drive 115 miles 2-3 times a week, almost all freeway, and I need to be able to quickly avoid the idiots.
GM calls it a “torsion beam” suspension. A very light, simple, cost-effective design for a non-steering, non-driven axle.

Fixing GM’s deliberately built-in understeer is great if you can handle the results safely, but I sure wouldn’t want to overshoot the mark and build in a bunch of oversteer. I gotta admit the progressive item looks interesting in that regard.

I can think of a couple of ways to avoid excessive oversteer. Softer rear springs with compensate and that’s what happens when people lower the rear of an HHR SS by using Cobalt SS springs, for example. Not sure I would find that to be much of an improvement. Another possibility is to replace the HHRSS stabilizer bar, which is smaller, with the LS/LT stabilizer bar.

And of course, you need to tweak your setup to your liking with tire pressure.

BTW, What struts did you use? You did keep the original springs, right? What shocks did you get? Your two LT w/ FE3 “sport” suspension had much better shocks than the LS/LT FE1 “soft ride” suspension.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:19 AM

I have the ZZP bar along with FE3 shocks and I love the way it rides now. I haven't had any issues with oversteer - it really moves it to closer to neutral than oversteer. Prior to doing this upgrade, it really handled like the car it is - a cheap, economy car - now the car seems underpowered since I don't slow for corners nearly as much as I did prior to the changes. I'd like to add that this includes driving in snowy conditions - no major oversteer issues.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Spongy rear end might be worn out shocks and/or springs
That is correct. The rear shocks were toast, just replaced them a couple of days ago. Decent improvement, but not enough.
Installing the zzp rear sway bar right now.