General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rear View Camera ...Thoughts ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Rear View Camera ...Thoughts ??

Anybody have this option on your HHR ??

I see it comes with the auto dimming rear view mirror but isn't that a bigger mirror ??

Thats an issue as far as blocking some vision as it is...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 PM

My wife has it on her 2011 HHR. It is pretty nice to have at times. I especially liked having it while my grand kids were living with us. The mirror is a little bigger than the mirror in my 09, but doesn't seem to be a problem.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Rest In Peace

I have the Auto Dimming Mirror on my '08 Panel, I'm Not a fan of it, it darkens all the time for No reason. Far too sensative in my opinion. I actually go through the ritual they Force you to do each and every time you start the car to turn it OFF. (Yes you Can turn it Off, RTFM. But it Don't STAY Off.)

I added a Pioneer Camera when I bought my Pioneer AVH-P4200 DVD Head Unit, LOVE IT. I'd say a Camera is a MUST have for a Panel owner.

Another Panel owner near me, actually has 3 cameras set up with a split screen. He only posted a few times here tho.

One of these days I gotta check that out when I see him driving around the area.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 AM

I recently bought a chinese rearview mirror with GPS/video/bluetooth/4.3" monitor.
I really like it. The GPS is better than my Garmin. The mirror itself doesn't dim in any way which is not really a problem with the dark tinted window in the back hatch.
When in reverse, the monitor goes to blue screen as I have no camera for it yet. Still looking for a camera that doesn't look obnoxious and doesn't break the bank. I paid $325.00 shipped for the mirror and refuse to pay almost as much for a tiny camera.

I never cared much for auto dimming mirrors. They always seemed to dim when you didn't need it and especially not dim when you really need it. The one in my HHR was actually not bad but it could be the tinted window in the rear hatch helping with the glare. I had one in a 2007 Ford Fusion that would not work right at all. Figured out the problem though. The hump on the rear package tray that housed the third stoplight strategically blocked headlights behind the car from hitting the sensor in the mirror. I found this out when I took it out after installing a rear spoiler that had the stoplight.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 PM

I wish they would make a GM "kit" to put one in any HHR. My wife has one in her 2010 Equinox LTZ and I really want one in my SS!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

I've never had the rear view camera, so I don't miss it..

But I guess its a good idea..

PS: My auto-dimming mirror works fine, I like it !!!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Well ... Thanks for the help everyone.

I just yesterday took delivery of my Second 2011 HHR.
It has the camera, and I was a little concerned because I have never had one, nor a self dimming rear view mirror.

So after one day here is my take.

It's OK, although after driving my wifes first HHR for 3 weeks I really didn't have a problem without that feature. Maybe I'll change my mind over time and various situations.
The other thing I was concerned about was the increased size of the dimming mirror.
So far,that is not a problem either.

The visual installation of the camera is done well as you would hardly know it is on the car placed at the rear licence plate area.

I have it now on 1 HHR, but would never actually order it on my vehicle if I had the choice. Especially @ $450

This new HHR is Mocha Steel Metallic with Ebony Interior. Really a nice color in my opinion.
This was close to the last New 1LT in this area.

The Dealer was quite reluctant to let it go for the price I finally paid.

WHEEEW .... Deal done.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 PM

I don't care about the dimming mirror, but seems that a rear camera would be nice, since visibility rearward is so poor. Not sure what could be retro-fitted.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Rest In Peace

You can spend as Little or as much as you want for a rear view camera setup.

The Cameras sell for as Low as $20-$30.00 on up. I bought the Pioneer camera just because I was buying all new Pioneer Audio stuff for my Panel.

I think Putter used a $29.00 one from ebay for his rear view setup, and is very happy with it.

I am happy with the Pioneer one.

We both have the Pioneer AVH P4200 DVD Head Unit.

Easy hook up if you have an aftermarket HU installed with a screen.

Goes on automatically when you shift into reverse, you can also just turn it ON and have it on while driving if you want.

In a Panel it is Very Nice to have when backing up they give a nice W I D E view. Good for backing out of tight parking lots. Also good for seeing a small child walking behind your car out of view or a Bike laying on the driveway behind your car.

If you don't have an aftermarket HU with a video screen you can buy all in one Kits at $60.00 or so. The little screen looks like a GPS Unit. Suction cup it to the windshield like a GPS unit or stash it in the center storage on the dash. Or just on the dash someplace.

Or go the rear view mirror with screen built in, and you can get those for far LESS than a OEM one. Search TVIEW on ebay.

If you have a video screen head unit already installed you can add a camera for under $30.00 bucks.

Heck I only paid $312.00 for my Pioneer AVH P4200 DVD head unit from Amazon with some coupons they were running last year. If I bought the $29.00 camera i'd have been alot less than GM's $450.00 for the rear view option.

If I had my choice of auto dimming mirror, or a rear view camera, the rear view camera would Win hands down.

I never had one before I installed mine, and it is a Nice add on thats for sure. Worth Much More than a silly auto dimming mirror imo. If someone behind me has their Bright lights ON, flipping the old fashioned dimmer tab was always super Easy to do, and you had full control when you wanted to flip it.

Quick Reply: Rear View Camera ...Thoughts ??