General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote start acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Founding Member

I would check your DIC set-up and make sure it wasn't turned off. If a DTC is set in the BCM or ECM the remote start will also not work. Has the Check Engine Light been on? A bad sensor in the hood latch, a door open or bad door latch jamb swith, or a bad BCM will also cause the remote start to not work.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I would check your DIC set-up and make sure it wasn't turned off. If a DTC is set in the BCM or ECM the remote start will also not work. Has the Check Engine Light been on? A bad sensor in the hood latch, a door open or bad door latch jamb swith, or a bad BCM will also cause the remote start to not work.

I will check the DIC later today.
No, the CEL has never been on.
Why would it flash the lights and beep the horn as opposed to doing nothing at all?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
a door open or bad door latch jamb swith
Is this suppose to affect the remote start operation? I've been able to remote start Dory while doors have been open.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 AM

Sounds like your remote is defective. Do you have a second one? if so try that

I had the same problem. My remotes quit working because the battery holder came loose from the circuit board, and I over heated the board when I soldered them back into place causing this to happen
Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Freightliner, as JT has mentioned it might be a remote problem. I've been having problems with the remote start on mine this last week. I changed the battery in my remote and it still only starts about 20% of the time. I think that my remote might have a problem making the connection to the circuit board when the button is pushed. I'm remote is now 3 years and 1 month old. My second remote, which is never used seems to work better.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM

ChevyMgr, I didn't recognize you with your new flag
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Freightliner
I will check the DIC later today.
No, the CEL has never been on.
Why would it flash the lights and beep the horn as opposed to doing nothing at all?
Since you ruled out that you might of pushed the panic/alarm button the only other thing I know of that will cause three chirps and a light flash usually means the BCM has detected a theft deterrent breach of the system. An intermittent hood latch switch could cause this. The BCM will not let the vehicle start if it thinks the hood is open. GM doesn't want to be liable for someone losing their fingers.

Originally Posted by jx3
Is this suppose to affect the remote start operation? I've been able to remote start Dory while doors have been open.
Correct, my mistake only the hood latch sensor will cause a no start. I was confusing security operations and remote vehicle start operations.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by JT's HHR
Sounds like your remote is defective. Do you have a second one? if so try that

I had the same problem. My remotes quit working because the battery holder came loose from the circuit board, and I over heated the board when I soldered them back into place causing this to happen
Ohhh! Good idea! Come to think of it my remote did have a "leg" of the battery holder come loose and I soldered it back on. I was careful to not heat it too much and the hole was not near any chips but you never know!

Will try that later too and get back to everyone!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 PM

OH YEAH!

JT nailed it! The remote is the culprit. I tried the second one when I got home and it started right up!

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and suggestions, they were all possible answers.

Now to see if I can get another one under warranty. I have 18k on it, only 9 months old.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Freightliner
OH YEAH!
Now to see if I can get another one under warranty. I have 18k on it, only 9 months old.

It will be done at no charge to you. Make sure and take both in because when they replace one, they have to program the 2nd one at the same time.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 10-23-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Remote start acting funny