General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote Start Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Remote Start Discovery

Since it has been extremely cold lately, as i put my shoes on i start up the car so it gets things flowing a bit before i get downstairs on over to where i park.

I've had car starters in 2 of my previous cars, both after market, never had a factory one before, which must have a bit to do with my discovery.

I've done this twice now and wanted to share.

So i start the car, get out to it, unlock the door, hop in, stick they key in, and then i forget that the car is already running, so bam, i twist it all the way to start up the car.

Now in my other cars, you know what i would hear, CRRRRRRRRRUUUNNNCCCCC as i grind the starter, then i flip out and yell at myself.

BUT with the hhr, twist the key, and nothing....It already knows it was started and it just stays the same. No grinding. LOVE IT.

Although yesterday i hopped in and started twisting the key, then my brain starts yelling STOP, i twist the key all the way and it's all good, but my brain had already put the stop in motion and i twisted it back really fast, and ended up turning the car off. My brain has to figure out it's ok...
Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Yep, I figured this one out a couple of weeks ago. Pretty cool feature I thought.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Founding Member

The BCM disables the ignition starter circuit after the engine starts. It will do this with the remote start or normal ignition starts. I call it the "my wife will never grind her starter drive and flywheel again" option.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 PM

It's also nice that you can just twist the key to start position and let it back right away, and the car will still start. Once you move the key to the start position, the car will engage the starter long enough to start the car, even if you immediately move the key back to the run position. The only downside is when I drive my wife's car, half the time I won't get it started the first time because by habbit I don't hold the key in the start position :).
Old 12-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Have you noticed too the rear defroster also comes on when it is cold? You rear window should be melted away by the time you go out to get in after work.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM

I did it too. And boy did I breath a sigh of relief (whew!) when I realized they had me covered.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM

yeah i'm glad they though of guys like me, because i've done it 2 or 3 times now, and i know it won't be the last...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Gosh--you guys with "real" weather have all the fun!! I just might drive up to the mountains to see if the "auto" rear window defroster works for me!

but I will definitely use the remote start in the Summer--very refreshing, indeed!!

And, yes, I'm freezing here the past couple of days--it's been as COLD as 44 degrees at nite....
Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sargechris
Gosh--you guys with "real" weather have all the fun!! I just might drive up to the mountains to see if the "auto" rear window defroster works for me!

but I will definitely use the remote start in the Summer--very refreshing, indeed!!

And, yes, I'm freezing here the past couple of days--it's been as COLD as 44 degrees at nite....
The low for tonight over here is going to be a chilly 66 degrees
Old 12-19-2008, 03:59 AM

haha...funny, I hvaent dont this yet but everytime I use the remote start and hop in, put the key in and click it over, I always ask myself "I wonder how bad he starter would grind if I ever turn the key all the way" .... thanks for sharing, good info to know!

Quick Reply: Remote Start Discovery