General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Remote start question

I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Yesterday my wife called me outside and told me that her remote start would not work. I asked her if she was pushing the lock button first. She said yes, but that she had found out that it will start without locking the car first.

She handed me the remote and I pushed the lock button and then held the start button down and the only thing that happened is that the lights flashed. I took the keys and got in and started the engine with the key. I just wanted to make sure that it was not an actual problem with the truck.

I shut it off and got out and went through the normal procedure of remote start and it worked fine. Apparently, even though she was able to start it without locking it first, it somehow set the alarm system so that it couldn't be started again until it was reset with the key.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Deceased

if you remote start it 2 times w/o key starting it, the remote start wont work.

sometimes it just gets finicky and you have to use the key a couple times before it resets and works again.

this doesnt happen often but will sometimes.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:41 AM

I'll have to let her know that. She likes to show off her remote start!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:52 PM

I've never tried the remote start...I know I can read the manual, but sometimes they make no sense. How do you do it? Here in the Northeast, it can come in handy on a cold day. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Deceased

push the lock button and then right after push and hold the top button on ur key fob

it should start. you can only do the remote start 2 times and then you have to start it with the key

nice to have you on board carmel
tell us a little about ur HHR and maybe introduce urself
Old 07-16-2006, 01:56 PM

I don't have an automatic, but from what I understand all you have to do is hit the button on your key fob and the car starts.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Hi cj!

Thank you so much for the quick response and...for inviting me to join the "club".

I have the blue HHR and really like it. My husband even likes it and he's so picky.

Tomorrow, I am taking it in to replace the steering shaft because it really clunks when you turn the wheel when you are stopped and then making turns. I don't like that at all, but my dealer is great and never gives me a problem if we have had issues with our vehicles. I even have my own assigned tech who've I've now known for years (we've gone to this dealer for a good 15 years or more).

By the way, my sister lives in TX...in Hereford (by Amarillo)

Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:14 PM

Hey there CJ...

I just went and tried it and it works! How cool! Now I don't have to get into a hot car...or a cold one in winter.
I did have to lock it first and I guess because you don't want to remote start it somewhere and have it unlocked for some low life to take off in it.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:08 PM

you cant take off with the car on auto-start. As soon you hit the break (or shift the gear, i cant remember which one it was) the engine wil shut itself off.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by HHR PNOY
you cant take off with the car on auto-start. As soon you hit the break (or shift the gear, i cant remember which one it was) the engine wil shut itself off.
gear wont move at all w/o the key in it and if you pump on the gas several times it shuts off.

nothing works till key goes in and on

Quick Reply: Remote start question