General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote Start w/AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Founding Member

For vehicles with remote start, the climate control system comes on and uses the prior temperature settings selected before you exited the vehicle.

If your vehicle has the remote start feature, the rear defogger automatically turns on if it is cold outside. When the vehicle transitions out of the remote start mode, the rear defogger turns off.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by chrissgee
Don't flip out if this has been covered before ( I looked but didn't see it) - Is it OK to keep your AC in the on position when shutting off your engine to take advantage of cooling off the car with the remote start? I just remember growing up I was always told to shut the AC off before you turn the engine off...

Thanks.
We were always taught that in the early days because of the belt system used on those cars. The possibility of the A/C belts jumping off of their pullies due to leaving the A/C on was quite frequent. Also it was a strain on the compressors back then. Todays systems are so much improved

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
For vehicles with remote start, the climate control system comes on and uses the prior temperature settings selected before you exited the vehicle.

If your vehicle has the remote start feature, the rear defogger automatically turns on if it is cold outside. When the vehicle transitions out of the remote start mode, the rear defogger turns off.
I think what needs to be clarified is will the system come on with the remote start, even if the fan switch is in the off position??? And if it does, that should mean, that you would have to set the fan switch once the key is inserted in the ignition.
I set the fan to the speed I want before exiting the vehicle, and it works fine everytime. Once I put the key in the ignition everything remains set to where it was before
Old 08-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
I think what needs to be clarified is will the system come on with the remote start, even if the fan switch is in the off position??? And if it does, that should mean, that you would have to set the fan switch once the key is inserted in the ignition.
I set the fan to the speed I want before exiting the vehicle, and it works fine everytime. Once I put the key in the ignition everything remains set to where it was before
Okay, let me clarify. The fan MUST be left ON for A/C or Heat to blow when performing a remote start.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Okay, let me clarify. The fan MUST be left ON for A/C or Heat to blow when performing a remote start.
Exactly what I thought, thanks for clearing that up, I think that is what some of the members were asking about!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
ecl

When its cold and I use the remote start my heater comes on even if I have it turned off, however when its hot my ac doesnt come on even if I have it turned on? Thats whats got me confused.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ecl
When its cold and I use the remote start my heater comes on even if I have it turned off, however when its hot my ac doesnt come on even if I have it turned on? Thats whats got me confused.
You may be correct on the heat, I didn't check that and it is 107° in Dallas today so I don't care to even try. But I do know that if the fan switch is not turned on the A/C will not come on.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ecl
... however when its hot my ac doesnt come on even if I have it turned on? Thats whats got me confused.
Really, mine does, I even make sure I have it set to high/cold when I get out so it's cooled off by the time I cross the parking lot after work.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 PM

I see descriptions of 2 types of Climate control systems. Wifes '08 HHR system comes on at the same settings as when it was turned off upon remote start. My silverado will heat or cool depending on conditions regardless of previous settings. Did Chevy upgraded the system for '09?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
What ever fan speed and climate setting that the A/C is left on when turning the car off, will resume during any start whether by remote or key. The only thing that will not be left as is would be the "recirculate air" function......it will always default to "fresh air" mode.
this is what mine does............ now my wifes monte carlo is a different story her car you dont have to have any sittings on...... when the remote goes on it senses the temp and if its cold it turns the heat on........ if its hot it turns the ac on........ wish the hhr did that....... but thats ok its better than not having a remote start at all.......
Old 08-03-2008, 04:03 PM

I believe the Monte Carlo and Silverado probably have climate control which is set by temperature. If the temperature is set at 72 degrees and its 90 outside the air conditioner would come on, if its 15 outside the heat would come on.

Quick Reply: Remote Start w/AC