General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Removal of Interior Vinyl dress up coatings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Windex on a terry cloth towel has always worked fine for me when removing Armor-All and other pesky "protectants".
You know, I already tried Windex as that was my first thought but it didn't really seem to cut it.
It's really hard to tell if it has removed the Armorall.
I might just give it another try and go over it twice instead of just once to see what those results show.
One thing is .. it does'nt seem to harm the Vinyl but then I'm not sure if I am even down to the Vinyl.
I would expect a fairly flat finish when the Armorall has been removed.
SF
Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Deceased

The worst one I've ever tackled took three cleanings with Windex and Simple Green, even after that, the vinyl took a few weeks to finish "sucking up" what the cleaning couldn't completely remove.

Once you've reached the point of "that's all I can clean off" give things a dry rub with an old towel, while it won't be perfect initially, you'll have a natural looking finish after some time passes.

As a personal aside, anyone who Armor-All's the dash or other interior components, needs their fingers broken.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 PM

Start with the mild first and then work your way up to the hard stuff to get the desired results. Kind of like starting with beer,if that doesn't work,wine,Schnaaps ,whiskey....
Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Armor All is primarily a water repellent, so go with something that maybe cuts through grease. I'd try Dawn dish washing liquid.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak
Armor All is primarily a water repellent, so go with something that maybe cuts through grease. I'd try Dawn dish washing liquid.
Thats a thought but,
The downside with soap products is the neccessary rinsing process it takes after you wash.
I have a Shaklee biodegradable Industrial soap type cleaner that works wonders on non synthetic oils and greases but it will suds forever. The other thing is many of the areas to clean have openings and cracks that you might not want that cleaner to get into and just sit.
It sounds like a fairly simple (apply and wipe) process but there is more to it then that when the whole car has had Armor-All applied.
Thanks for the suggestion though...
SF