General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Removing Speedometer Cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:18 AM

Removing Speedometer Cluster?

Has anyone tried to remove, or successfully removed the speedometer cluster yet? If so, How did you do it? Pics would be great! I have another cluster that I sent to U.S. Speedometer, and Harry over there is installing a set of custom overlays for me. I'm just trying to get all my info ahead of time, so I can be prepared when they come in. Any info is greatly appreciated......Regards.......Mark
Old 08-23-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by RUDEINC
Has anyone tried to remove, or successfully removed the speedometer cluster yet? If so, How did you do it? Pics would be great! I have another cluster that I sent to U.S. Speedometer, and Harry over there is installing a set of custom overlays for me. I'm just trying to get all my info ahead of time, so I can be prepared when they come in. Any info is greatly appreciated......Regards.......Mark
Pics would be great when you get it back. Are they whiteface???
Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM

Yes, they are going to be the white faced overlays. This is the picture that they sent me...But I will add the real thing when I figure out how to get them installed....Regards....Mark
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2006, 02:12 PM

it should just unplug/plug and bolt up ive done tons of imports that all went like this, your mileage will prolly be off with another cluster though unless they are reprograming it. i want those guages bad but a $100 is sort steep, please post pics of it lit up when you get it in
Old 08-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Founding Member

He's just doing the overlays? Reprograming involved in overlays?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
He's just doing the overlays? Reprograming involved in overlays?
he said he sent a seperate cluster to them meaning his is still in his car thats the way i understood it anyhow
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM

Newer cluster mileage and information is retained in the computer, not in the cluster itself. They stopped that after people were swapping clusters to lie about the mileage on cars. I noticed this when i swapped out the clusters on my 2001 GMC Sierra which did retain the mileage in the cluster and my 2002 Saturn L100 that the mileage and other information was retained in the computer.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by trey1966
Newer cluster mileage and information is retained in the computer, not in the cluster itself. They stopped that after people were swapping clusters to lie about the mileage on cars.
oh well there you go, i know in my avalanche (04) i had to reprogram the escalade cluster milage.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Founding Member

Crowbar,
My bad, I missed that part. I was so excited about the overlays! In prevous mention, they were still too much money for me.

RUDEINC,
If it helps, someone has posted some dash removal images. I don't recall whom it was. I don't think they removed the cluster, but the dash pic's may help. I'm sure someone may chime in with a link to those pic's.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Crowbar, I was so excited about the overlays! In prevous mention, they were still too much money for me.
i really want them bad since i changed my led to blue

Quick Reply: Removing Speedometer Cluster?