General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Request for Bluetooth install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM

Request for Bluetooth install

The 09s will have Bluetooth capability. I am requesting some of the GM savy folk (i.e. those who work for a Chevy dealer and have access to the necessary documents) on this board figure out how to install the Bluetooth capability in earlier model HHRs. With luck this will not be much harder then installing the aux buttons on the steering wheel. Any takers?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:39 PM

Should be a direct head unit swap, its probably all in the head unit with USB and probably uses the same mic as onstar.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 PM

It will probably also require an Onstar box swap. The one that's next to the XM radio receiver.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 PM

I read in a GM Tech Bulletin that the Bluetooth in the '09's is in the OnStar 'box'. I have no idea how much they are or how complicated the swap would be.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 PM

If it is in the Onstar box in the 2009 models then I would expect it to be expensive to buy a new replacement to swap it out. You'll probably have to wait until someone wrecks on 09 and buy the box. In a few years that may be a good option once they start ending up in the salvage yards.

In the meantime I would just prefer to be able to move around the built-in phone in the car to my current cell carrier. It is a regular cell phone and the built-in voice dialing is built-in to the onboard computer in the car. It really has nothing to do with OnStar. I've read in the Service manual that OnStar will disable it if you cancel OnStar which if true is really irritating since there is NO reason for them to do so except for spite.

If someone finds an affordable way to add the Bluetooth connectivity from the 09 to the 08 I would love to hear how that way I can use my current cell phone with the hands free phone in the car. That feature is the only reason I was even considering looking at the FORD's since their SYNC is pretty cool and works well. In the end it didn't stop me from going with the HHR. I'm Just glad that at least GM will have the Bluetooth going forward and hope that somehow I can get it working in my 08 as well.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by robotworkshop
In the meantime I would just prefer to be able to move around the built-in phone in the car to my current cell carrier. It is a regular cell phone and the built-in voice dialing is built-in to the onboard computer in the car. It really has nothing to do with OnStar. I've read in the Service manual that OnStar will disable it if you cancel OnStar which if true is really irritating since there is NO reason for them to do so except for spite.
IIRC the hands-free calling feature is indeed part of OnStar. it works off the OnStar satellite system, in conjunction with the Verizon cellular system, hence why it can be added as a "phone" onto a Verizon family plan. so if you cancel your OnStar subscription, they are more than within their rights to cancel the phone usage, as if you don't have a subscription, you don't get to use their features.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yonash
IIRC the hands-free calling feature is indeed part of OnStar. it works off the OnStar satellite system, in conjunction with the Verizon cellular system, hence why it can be added as a "phone" onto a Verizon family plan. so if you cancel your OnStar subscription, they are more than within their rights to cancel the phone usage, as if you don't have a subscription, you don't get to use their features.
if and when you do cancel on star you do cancel the ability to have the phone..... you have to have on star operational to have the phone......
Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Yonash
That's not what I've read about it in the Factory service manual for the 2008 HHR. It says in there that it is a regular cellular phone that is built-in. It has the integrated microphone and speakers with the car stereo. It is supposed to have a regular ESN number printed on the box in the back that could be used to put it on another cellular carrier.

It also says that there are two separate voice recognition systems. The one for navigation and assistance is tied with OnStar and goes back through the radio to their service. The other one however (which controls the dialing) is supposed to be built-in to one of the onboard computers already in the HHR.

The issue I have is that if OnStar is dropped then they broadcast a signal to disable the onboard cell which could otherwise be used with another service. This is what I have an issue with. Why on earth wouldn't they just leave the phone alone and let people migrate it to whatever service provider they want? It seems they are killing it on purpose just to say that if you don't pay us extra for our service you can't use a perfectly good phone that just happens to be part of the SUV I paid for. When you factor in that the 2009 can use the built-in hands free service with existing phones it makes it more disturbing.

I may end up keeping the basic OnStar service after the trial period expires. I just wish I had control of the built-in car phone and have the choice to use whatever provider I would like and add as an extra phone to my current provider.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 AM

OnStar uses Verizon's cell networks and will only work with them as a carrier and the cell hardware in the HHR for OnStar is only CDMA compatible.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tuanies
OnStar uses Verizon's cell networks and will only work with them as a carrier and the cell hardware in the HHR for OnStar is only CDMA compatible.
Well I guess if that is the case there are at least two options:

Option 1: See if the newer OnStar box/modules from a 2009 can be used in the 2008 models so that the Bluetooth connectivity can be used.

Option 2: Buy a Bluetooth headset and hack it so it can be plugged into the existing handsfree speakers/mic that are already in the HHR. I've read where people have done this on other vehicles with good results. Since the HHR schematics are listed in the service manual there is a good chance this could be done and in such a fashion that it is reversible in case anyone wants to go back.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Request for Bluetooth install