General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Resale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:50 AM

Smart move.

To be honest any new car may have as many or more problems as what youy have seen is not anything that bad compared to many I have seen.

My wifes aunts Dodges was a electical and head gasket monster.

Negitive equity also is something that is not to be fooled with unless you are willing to turn it around on one vehicle. My buddy got himself into s fix and ended up driving a Worn out Cavalier for two years becasuse of several bad deals with negitive equity.

Taking your money and fixing you present car is the smart choice and I am glade to see you made it!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by pg318
Correct, the summary page still lists the Getrag 5-speed for the 1LT, but you can only get the auto now. In 2007 (not sure about 2008), you could get a 1LT with the manual transmission, and option in the 2.4 engine. I looked for one of these, and there was just a single vehicle with that combination on the lots within 150 miles. It was white, with the chrome package, running boards option wheels and just about every other option you could add to a 1LT, and way beyond what I wanted to pay. Shame, it would seem to be a rare and desirable combination.
Granted I got mine in 06, but when I was looking, I wanted either the Daytona Blue or the Victory Red in an LT and stick. I found one each, the SE VR model was in NC and the DB was in Miami. THe price was about a grand differance. But a local dealership was willing to go get the DM for free, and the dealership that had the red, would not let theirs go. I wanted the blue more, and since it was for 06 only, glad I did.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 3amigos
To All - Thanks for the advice. Yes the recalls of the plastic in the upper glove box, the extra foam in the headliner are small, but I have also replaced 3 wheels due to the black chrome flaking off, dealt with the PAL issues affecting my ability to listen to my radio, door dings every time I turn around, two dings from accidents (that can be repaired by a paintless dent repair guy). All in all, I like the car but don't love it. The issues have bugged me, and that is the reason I was thinking of trading it. Of course, there's more - I had an 04 Sebring convertible that was T-boned 9 months after I bought it - the negative equity transfered to my 05 Sebring convertible - which I traded on the HHR two years after I bought it. I also bought my car nearly 6 months after I first drove it. So, I bought a manual with a chunk of negative equity. I wasn't necessarily looking at any one car - but the Dodge dealership had some good deals.

All in all - it will be cheaper to keep it - and just like stocks, you don't lose any money on it until you sell it. I like my car - and as mentioned in this thread - they don't even put the manual transmission in the LT, or with the 2.4 so I have a pretty rare car. Since I already have a 1960 Thunderbird with a sunroof (1 of 2577 made), maybe I need to have two rare cars.

Twistrman - yes, if I trade it in - you can have my headlights and foglights - since both are smoked....but I just saw a set on ebay the other day......

Thanks again for your advice (even the constructive criticism). I am keeping it....
Your not alone on the Negative Equity, I had a 06 Dodge Ram I loved that Truck then gas hit 4.50 a gallon and traded that in for a 07 Vue. I had the Vue for all of 6 Months.Two months after i had it i couldn't deal with it. I like Modding For the simple fact i like my ride's looking Different. Not a lot you can do with the Saturn. Only reason i had the Dodge or the Saturn Was we had a Camper. We sold the Camper when gas was 4 bucks a gallon and we have a wedding to pay for.

Needless to say i think i will be keeping the HHR for awhile,no major issue's provided. When we do buy another Car her's will be Going and the HHR will remain.

Only wish i could have gotten a SS. With so much negative equity i decided it wasn't a smart choice.

There's more Vehicle's as well.. So i know 100% what your talking about.

95 Bertta,03 Grand Am,05 Silverado 2wd, 06 Dodge Ram 4wd,07 Saturn Vue,08 HHR. All these and i'm 24yr's old. Needless to say i've learned my lesson.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 AM

WOW! I just went to Kelly Bluebook and saw that my 08 SS with a 5 speed and 45oo miles is worth 14K on a trade in. I paid 23.700 last July. Looks like I'll be driving it awhile, esp at 72 month 0%.

JIm
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jeda13
WOW! I just went to Kelly Bluebook and saw that my 08 SS with a 5 speed and 45oo miles is worth 14K on a trade in. I paid 23.700 last July. Looks like I'll be driving it awhile, esp at 72 month 0%.

JIm

Just for S&G's, I did the same for my 06 LT, 31500 miles, 2.2 5speed.

Trade in- $8150
Private - $9985
Suggested- $11935

Not bad considering I paid under $17000 back in Sept 06.

Now, NADA is a little different.

Clean trade in- $9950
Retail- $11925

Dealerships will use what is more benefitial to them. A lot also use Black Book, which you can't see..... That is what we use for our auction sites.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM

With a couple of exceptions, we have always bought vehicles to keep at least 8 years, with 48 month loans, then save the amount that was going to payments for 4 years to apply towards the down on the next car (so we usually put ~40% down). This has worked really well over the years. My wife actually kept her '82 BMW for 14 years (and you would not have believed how flawless the paint and body were after all that time!) then got a '96 Blazer, and now a 2004 325i. I traded my 2004 Silverado for my '08 HHR, so I deviated from the plan.........at any rate, if you do something similar to that you won't have to worry about neg equity or resale value. New cars are not an investment they are a useful tool.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
With a couple of exceptions, we have always bought vehicles to keep at least 8 years, with 48 month loans, then save the amount that was going to payments for 4 years to apply towards the down on the next car (so we usually put ~40% down).
Yep, I employ pretty much the same strategy with great success.

Additionally, I always buy vehicles that are at least 3 or more years into the current production cycle so most all the bugs are usually worked out on any new technology and I'm not paying the "all new, whiz-bang, hyped-up" nameplate premium. Plus, at that point in the cycle, the manufacturers often bring out interesting special models and enhancements (or correct heinous mistakes, mostly limited to styling) to keep the line fresh.

I hold on to vehicles 8-9 years or about 90k on average and keep them very well maintained (with records) mechanically and superbly maintained cosmetically. This ensures a little bit better resale price but more importantly a quick sale, always private party, at the end.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 PM

I've always kept my vehicles a long time and never worried about it. The firebird I traded for the HHR I had for 8 years and was 12 years old but I got sick of getting ripped off by mechanics so i bought a new car. I could keep this car awhile but #2 is on the way and the HHr is smaller than I'd like for family hauling. I'd like to think I could get decent value out of it after 3 years if I need something larger.

Jim
Old 02-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Have you ever noticed that the top of the line and the base model tend to blend after a few years? Case in point - my HHR, an 07 Premiere Edition LT2 with all options except auto/OnStar/Side bags - sticker of $22,495 - and Shelby Motors in Champaign wanted to give me $9900. They had an 06 HHR LS on the lot with an auto - $9995. What gives? I looked at a 2003 Passat W8 4Motion sedan on Friday -- they wanted $9995...that car cost like $40,000 new....
Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 PM

they wanted to give you 9900 for yours but there is no way in he** if you were trading in that 06 LS you would be getting that much, you'd be getting 5k or 5k and their markup is the 9995...

If they're offering you 9900 they're planning to be putting to out there for at least 2 grand more, probably even more then that.