General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Roof Rack for HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Roof Rack for HHR?

Howdy.

I will (hopefully) soon be the proud owner of an HHR SS. I was hoping to buy a roof mounted ski rack or "box." to transport my skis with.

However, from reviewing the Yakima and Thule websites, Neither seems to have a rack that is compatible with the HHR.

Does anyone here have experience with a roof mounted ski rack or box and their HHR? Will a "universal" rack work fine, or should I be cautious?

Thanks for any info you may have,
The D Ho's
Old 12-11-2007, 02:17 PM

I know others have gotten the cross bars from Thule that fit on the factory rails of the HHR. I'm sure others will reply. Also go to the search function of the site and try :rails, racks, roof racks, etc something might show up.
SS way to go
click this thread and see if it helps https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=cross+bars
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM

If you want to go with a roof rack, the only option out there currently is to get the factory rails. You then have the option of buying the Thule or Yakima cross bars that fit into them, or getting the factory cross bars and buying the aftermarket racks that fit them. Either way it will cost you.

I am a cyclist and I usually carry the bikes inside the car. With the rear seats folded down there is plenty of room to stand up as many as three bikes. Good if it's just you and your homey, but not so good if there is a third. I suspect with skis though, you could easily fit three pair inside.

Bonuses to putting your stuff inside are:

-It's clean when you get to your destination.
-It's secure when you stop for food/gas along the way
-You get better fuel mileage
-You don't have to buy expensive racks

I am getting a reciever hitch to put on my HHR though, There are times when you just have to carry your buds with you
Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 AM

Racks, hitches

Howdy all: this is my first time on this forum. Pleased to meet ya.

I have been searching to find a rack for transporting my kayak. My 2006 does not have factory rails. Thule and Yakima currently have no adaptors available. Therfore I am still looking for ideas.

I did install a hidden hitch and it works well for towing small trailers. I have one of those fold ups from Harbor Freight and tow it carrying my ATV and side rails, ramps and 5 gal gass can. Total weight is about 800 lbs. So far no problems. I recommend their trailer lights package. Easy hookup and worked right first try.

Last edited by Grumpy; 03-17-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Wrong wording
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 AM

Looking at the join date and thought we had a GRUMPY but he spells his GRUMPEE. I see you already looked at Thule so I can't help. How does that trailer from Harbor Freight hold up? I was sort of thinking about one myself but didn't know if the ones they handle are sturdy, I've never had a trailer but since I no longer have a big pickup this little HHR may need one of these. Enjoy the site.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 AM

Grumpy! You don't seem all that grumpy! This site will make you smile most of the time!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 AM

Cool Trailer & HHR

So far the trailer is holding up fine. Like I said I haul my ATV and gear on it and still get about 27 mpg hwy. When not hauling the ATV I made a folding top for it which accordians to the front. Then by bending some PVC pipes and putting some u bolts in the side I created Conestoga wagon hoops. When at my destination I put 'em up, pull a tarp over and have an instant tent up off the ground. Big enough for a cot, table food, lantern, etc.. I do this a bit when I go hunting. Soon's Easter is over and the grandkids go home I'll take some pics and post here.

Would like to do something for a roof rack for the kayak though. I can easily mount it atop the trailer but that gets in the way down at the harbor or tight parking areas. I guess I'm going to look into having factory rails installed and then do cross pieces with Yakima or Thule. Haven't got that far yet. This site is about it up to now. I do carry the kayak on top with those little foam pads and straps, but if I tighten too much it does dimple the top. Wouldn't want to hit the highway with it like that.

As far as my HHR: I bought it used with 28K on it and love it. I had a truck, boat, motorcycles all that, but got forced off the road by a car, on my bicycle and crashed. Had hip replaced and both shoulders dislocated, so whole body is still a little wierd. The HHR is the only vehicle I found, that I can afford, that I could sit comfortably in the broad flat seats. sold everything else and have just the HHR and a kayak now. Just starting to get back on the bicycle. Being a bit older (well seasoned) I am easy on vehicles. I get 23 around town and 32 hwy. Mine is light golden brown. I was pleasantly surprised that it has quite a bit of carry capacity for such a small car. I can almost fir the kayak inside with the passenger seat down. Probably could if I put down that window and stuck the nose out. I especiaslly like the ability to elevate the rear storage shelf. Since I hunt I frequently carry firearms and that prevents potential thieves noticing what's inside when I stop for a meal, etc.. By the way my friend has one of those folding bicycles and it fits under that tray if I don't have anything else in there.

Well, getting a bit long on this post. Later

Grumpy
Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 AM

I just installed a pair of factory rails, it's a very easy job. The kit will supply you with templates for placement, a drill bit, and the tool to crush the 'nutserts' (which I didn't use, have a better one). There are no square holes or special punches needed. The only thing I don't like is with the front mounts, the roof will sag when weight is placed. The roof should be reinforced to support my kayaks before I will use it.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
If you want to go with a roof rack, the only option out there currently is to get the factory rails. You then have the option of buying the Thule or Yakima cross bars that fit into them, or getting the factory cross bars and buying the aftermarket racks that fit them. Either way it will cost you.

I am a cyclist and I usually carry the bikes inside the car. With the rear seats folded down there is plenty of room to stand up as many as three bikes. Good if it's just you and your homey, but not so good if there is a third. I suspect with skis though, you could easily fit three pair inside.

Bonuses to putting your stuff inside are:

-It's clean when you get to your destination.
-It's secure when you stop for food/gas along the way
-You get better fuel mileage
-You don't have to buy expensive racks

I am getting a reciever hitch to put on my HHR though, There are times when you just have to carry your buds with you
All true, except when you want to return home, you have to clean and dry your skis, bindings, and poles or else it will melt all over your car. Plus, unless you secure it inside, it could be very dangerous in an accident.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up Factory rails

Thanks for the info Dirtstuffer. A quick question or two if you don't mind. Do you remove the headliner to perform this install? If so does it go back in place reasonably well? I suppose instructions are included, silly question. Would appreciate it if you let us know how it went with the reinforcing work. Take care.

Grumpy

Quick Reply: Roof Rack for HHR?