General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Roof Rack/Roof Bag - Road Trip Stats

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM

Roof Rack/Roof Bag - Road Trip Stats

For anyone contemplating a road trip in their HHR, I figured I'd post some stats. I recently took my 06 HHR 2LT on a 1500 mile round trip excursion. For anyone wondering what the HHR can handle and the MPG results - here are the details:

- 2 adults, 2 kids, 75lb dog in the trunk.
- Rain-X Roof bag packed with 50lbs. of clothes/supplies sitting DIRECTLY
on the roof.
-Thule 45050 CrossRoad Complete Roof Rack System with 50 inch Load Bars

The owners manual says do not place anything on the roof, however I really didn't have a choice using the roof bag vs. a cargo box. I tested it a different speeds with varying weight loads and opted for a 50lb. limit just to be safe.

Traveling at an average of 78 mph, using 93 octane I averaged 20 mpg. Not that great, but considering the load, I couldn't complain. No problems with handling or acceleration, although when the bag was removed and everyone was out of the car, believe me it felt like I was driving a vette at that point. It poured on probably half of my trip and the Rain-X roof bag kept everything bone dry. I highly recommend the bag.

The Thule 45050 crossroad roof rack is fantastic. It comes with everything you need, INCLUDING the locks. It is extremely simple to put on and take off. Only takes about 10-15 minutes to have it secured the way you need it depending on your load. The portions that fasten to the roof rails are all coated in rubber, so there is no chance of scratching anything. Once in place, it is solid - never budged once on the entire trip. Got it shipped for free from Amazon for 220.00. The roof bag runs about 50 bucks but I found one on ebay for 20.

I don't know what the safe max load for placing things on the roof is, but I didn't want to push it beyond 50lbs. Maybe I could have, but I didn't want to find out the hard way.

I hope this info helps anyone planning an HHR road trip - good luck.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:32 AM

I place two sit-on-top kayaks on a Thule rack I attach the the roof rails and never have a problem. I only travel a few miles to the bay, but I know the HHR can handle the weight.

Glad you had a successful trip! I've take my HHR from the Florida panhandle to St Louis and back twice by myself. It is so comfortable, only my bladder convinces me to stop. I also took it to San Antonio and South Florida with three adults and lots of luggage. I sat in the back on one leg of a trip and found it very comfortable. I'm almost 6' tall.

My only question is "What took you so long to plan a long trip?"