General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Roof rail measurement, quick favor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Roof rail measurement, quick favor?

Hey People! I don't have roof rails on my HHR SS (yet), and after several different searches on this board I couldn't find the info I need. So my question is this, can any of you measure the distance between the inside edges of the roof rails across the car and post them here? I need to know so I can make choices for aftermarket cross rails. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM

You also going to need to know the distance from the hatch.

I just threw away the templates about a month ago.....
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
You also going to need to know the distance from the hatch.
I guess I wasn't clear, I have the rails and templates, I haven't installed them yet. what I am looking for is the measurement from the inside of the installed rail on the passenger side, to the inside of the rail on the driver's side. the distance between the inside of the rails across the roof, not front to back.

I want to make sure when I'm ordering cross bars that they are wide enough to span the distance but not so long that they stick out over the sides of the car by too much.

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 04-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

its a thin hair over 32"
Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Can't you just temporarily lay out the rails with the templet and measure? Should be close enough measurement to get what you need.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
its a thin hair over 32"
Awesome! Thanks a lot!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Can't you just temporarily lay out the rails with the templet and measure? Should be close enough measurement to get what you need.
Nope, the template is two seperate pieces of paper that show where the screw holes go. I could have eyeballed from their measurements but I figured better to be safe.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm. OK. If it's 2 seperate pieces, the template still has to position the 2 rails the correct distance apart.
If so, then you could have measured it yourself.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Hmm. OK. If it's 2 seperate pieces, the template still has to position the 2 rails the correct distance apart.
If so, then you could have measured it yourself.
The template shows ONLY the position of the screw holes and where the feet sit. It does not show the rails or in any way define their actual positon in relation to each other. If you'd ever actually seen a template you'd know that instead of just suggesting that I'm being lazy by asking the question that I have no way of figuring out without measuring the rails on an actual car that has them installed.

If I could have measured it myself acurately with the templates I would have. It would have given me the information I needed a week ago instead of today. Without the rails firmly bolted to the roof, I can't take into account variables like if the rails change position due to the roof curvature as opposed to sitting on the garage floor.

If talking out your A$$ about something that you have no knowledge about and suggesting that others are lazy when you are ignorant to the facts is your thing that's pretty pathetic, but if it turns your crank to be that way, more power to ya.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Whoa,chill out. I was in no way saying you were lazy. You my friend have interpreted my post the way you wanted to.
And if you say the templet "does not show the rails or in any way define their actual position in relation to each other", then how do you know where to mount them?
Oh never mind.

Quick Reply: Roof rail measurement, quick favor?