General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Rust on rear wheel drum

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:24 AM

rust

Originally Posted by jaydogg
what you can do is clean them with brake cleaner. then when it driews there is a paint the will turn rust into a primered black. sand then paint the color you want. i think the stuff is called rust off. go to local parts store and ask them for rust paint and they should know what you are talking about.
it's called rustmort or ruststop depending what you want to do
Old 09-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

So has anyone had good success using Rustoleum paint on the calipers & drums??

I'm bout ready to paint my calipers & drums. & want to brush the calipers...

Eastwood wants $32. qt (I don't think so)..
Old 09-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Rust is normal as pointed out and is better today than it used to be. In the past there was no coating on 100 of the drums and today some cars have a cheap black coating that last a year or less.

Just get a good quality paint and hit em when you rotate tires. if you can see them.

Before you see them later the rotors surface will rust when you wash it or have really damp conditions and the car sits. It is cleaned off the first time you step on the brakes. It hurts nothing and all makes and models have it unless they have a higher nickel content to the rotors or are expensive ceramic rotors like on the ZR1.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SSguy
So has anyone had good success using Rustoleum paint on the calipers & drums??

I'm bout ready to paint my calipers & drums. & want to brush the calipers...

Eastwood wants $32. qt (I don't think so)..
if you want to [aint your calipers and do it right, get a high quality caliper paint kit. I recommend the G2 kit, it is going to run you about $35-40 but it is going to be what you need to do it right. comes with a 2 part paint, the cleaner, everything. It is brush on, not spray on. Find some of my other posts where I have talked about it before.

If you use G2 it will last, you won't be needing to touch it up etc. Plus if it ever chips or cracks, they will replace the kit for free since it is guaranteed.

I don't know about the rustoleom, but you want a high heat paint since your calipers get really hot and this is where other paint will fail. G2 is rated up to 900 degrees
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM

If you want to brush the paint on you can still use caliper paint.....

I know a number of guys on here use G2 but i have not had any issues with my duplicolor caliper paint, and yes my drums are painted. A little light sanding to knock off any loose rust, clean with brake cleaner, and paint.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Well my last S-10 a 1998, I just traded in . I painted the calipers & drums with motor paint (rattle can). Never any flaking in 11 yrs of owning it.. That paints' max temp is only 500* ...

Yes I give them a clean & light re-spray when I replaced the tires, but that was it..

Never rotated since I used much fatter rear tires..

But since I don't want to cover the whole vehicle (avoiding off-spray) I'll be brushing the calipers.. Drums I can shoot out back of shop...
Old 09-06-2009, 08:19 AM

Just another note about caliper paint (at least Duplicolors) the paint is thicker than engine paint. This works in your favor because it helps to smooth out the surface a little making your painted peices look better and the smoother the finish the less dirt it traps.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HHorange
Just another note about caliper paint (at least Duplicolors) the paint is thicker than engine paint. This works in your favor because it helps to smooth out the surface a little making your painted
peices look better and the smoother the finish the less dirt it traps.
Yes good point.. I did smooth the surfaces, but thicker would be better for a smoother finish.

I just don't want the paint TOO thick to where it will retain heat..

A long time friend has an older camaro that he has only used Hi-Gloss Rustoleum on the calipers & drums.. No problems that I know of..
Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 AM

I had most of a can of BBQ grill paint left over, so I just painted mine last month - drums & calipers. 3-4 coats while I was rotating the tires and checking the brakes.

I still had some paint left over, so this week I painted the muffler as well (saw that suggested in another thread)-now the muffler "hides" underneath the car...