General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

it is a sad day

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:13 AM

it is a sad day

hi all, not posted in a while, just been busy.
but thought Id share the minor accident damage from last night, hoping it is repairable within reason, as my vehicle is already under a salvage title, Im very hesitant to use insurance for repairs.
an unknown animal sprinted across the road last night, moving at enough pace that I had 0 reaction time, I literally saw it a micro-second prior to hitting it. comparable with a medium+ sized dog, but I cant say it was a dog as it honestly looked more cat-like (from the brief glance I did get of it...)
anyways, the front clip will need replaced (good time to look for an SSR front clip) AC condenser, Radiator and their supports have all been pushed into and under the engine. that is the extent of the damage as far as I can tell from looking at it in the dark, will know more later today as my mechanic is coming by to assess damage and talk with me about repairs and cost.
I wasnt injured, just angry for the accident, and upset I killed an animal.

you can clearly see the support for the cooling poking through here.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Sorry to see the damage, but happy to hear you are alright!
Old 07-27-2019, 04:03 PM

thanks Ob :)
so an update:
supports are undamaged
parts that will need replaced:
radiator, condenser, coolant reservoir, fan and front bumper cover.
whew, dodged a bullet so to speak as it wasnt worse, my mechanic said between $500 - $700 in parts/labor (for him) since my deductible is $1k I think I will bypass using insurance.
ordering parts this wknd, I can get an HHR front cover from a local salvage yard already paint matched (even comes with foglights, which was my next project anyways)
not going to bother with an SS front conversion at this time as Id rather just have my cruiser back :)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Administrator

A sound choice, have fun and take care!
Old 07-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Yeoww !! Sorry to hear this, but agree good you are ok. And your plans sound good too.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 AM

seems I lied, I can get a bumper cover and grill for the SS from a salvage yard closer to me and possibly cheaper.
so looks like I will be going that route instead
only downside is the bumper cover is the chevy blue, which will look butt ugly on my gold panel, but Im hoping that having it paint matched wont cost and arm and leg...

that said, I also know what animal I hit after going through the dashcam footage, 90% sure it was a fox
Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

d0sitmatr- Perhaps you can have that front end "wrapped" for much less than paint.. You probably will dig the SS look when it gets done.

Bad day for the fox, but you survived the ordeal..

Last edited by sleeper; 07-29-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
d0sitmatr- Perhaps you can have that front end "wrapped" for much less than paint.. You probable will dig the SS look when it gets done.

Bad day for the fox, but you survived the ordeal..
I never even thought of a vinyl wrap, Ill have to look into that, thanks !!
and once again, seems I lied...
drove past the spot for work today and it isnt a fox, but a bobcat :/
Old 07-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

...... It's not a lie if you were only guessing what it was you hit..

I remember when a Large dog that suddenly ran out between thick trees. I couldn't stop, hit him & he rolled & ran. I was looking for the owner, & told them about it,
they said he is back home & they think he will be ok. Said it was not my fault...

I never looked at my ride till later, YEOWW !!! The whole front was mashed in.. Some things we have no control over. Just gotta move on..
Old 07-30-2019, 10:58 AM

Another possibility is to paint the SS bumper cover with gloss black. You can get some good paint in spray cans. And the black would look good with the gold.
Just a thought
Ron

Quick Reply: it is a sad day