General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

From sadness to joy. Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
This thread doesn't prove anything.

When you turned the car off to check the fuses, you power-cycled the BCM.

I suppose I could have given more details originally.

when i got home, I parked the car, and locked it.
I went inside, dropped off my work gear, and checked the answering machine.
I drank some water and went back out side.
I unlocked the car put the key in, with the door open-no chime
I turned the key ON, still no chime
I turned the radio ON...power-yes, sound/volume no.
I turned the key off, un-latched the hood, closed the door, and then checked the fuses

when I got back in the car, and repeated the check steps, I had chimes, and radio sound.

I suppose it could have taken two key cycles to 're-boot'...or...it could have been loose fuses, the common issue that has been discussed here by several other members in the past.

I'll let others make the call. I know what I think it was.
I've never driven a car that needed to be "re-booted"(power-cycle the BCM...TWICE)...nor have I read any discussions (yet) from others who have needed to do the same thing.
But I have read several discussions about loose fuses, and poor BCM connections at the base of the center console/passenger side.

so...I wanted to take the time to thank those who have contributed in the past...that is all. Sorry if it seems unbelievable to you.

and dont worry about me pressing the fuses in too hard. It's the mechanics at shops that seem to think banging on things, or trying to compress a fuse by usingso much force their thumb turns white.
checking, and forcing are two different things.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Smile

I checked mine after reading the first thread on the subject & they were all loose.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:00 PM

I see no harm in checking them. whether or not it is an unlikely cause is a moot point...loose fuses cant do anyone any good, as long as common sense is applied when checking them, one can prevent future electrical glitches.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
I suppose I could have given more details originally.

when i got home, I parked the car, and locked it.
I went inside, dropped off my work gear, and checked the answering machine.
I drank some water and went back out side.
I unlocked the car put the key in, with the door open-no chime
I turned the key ON, still no chime
I turned the radio ON...power-yes, sound/volume no.
I turned the key off, un-latched the hood, closed the door, and then checked the fuses

when I got back in the car, and repeated the check steps, I had chimes, and radio sound.

I suppose it could have taken two key cycles to 're-boot'...or...it could have been loose fuses, the common issue that has been discussed here by several other members in the past.

I'll let others make the call. I know what I think it was.
I've never driven a car that needed to be "re-booted"(power-cycle the BCM...TWICE)...nor have I read any discussions (yet) from others who have needed to do the same thing.
But I have read several discussions about loose fuses, and poor BCM connections at the base of the center console/passenger side.

so...I wanted to take the time to thank those who have contributed in the past...that is all. Sorry if it seems unbelievable to you.

and dont worry about me pressing the fuses in too hard. It's the mechanics at shops that seem to think banging on things, or trying to compress a fuse by usingso much force their thumb turns white.
checking, and forcing are two different things.
You may have read several discussion threads about "loose" fuses, but none have ever been attributed to any kind of malfunction.

It is highly unlikely that the BCM #2 fuse had anything to do with the radio malfunction, considering that the fuse for the radio is in the passenger compartment. Also, if BCM #2 or #3 fuse was blown or not making contact, the vehicle would not start or function properly at all.

More likely, you have either a spotty connection to the radio or a spotty radio. Take the car in and get it checked out
Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 PM

well, all is fine now. Not sure WHICH fuse caused it...but I had no interior sound...no chimes, no turn signal clicks, and no radio...the radio was ON, but no sound. The turn signal indicators blinked, but no "clicking" sound. They key was in the ingition, turned OFF with the door open, yet no chime.

I tried this after turning the car off, getting out and coming back to try it again....same problem.

Next I checked the fuses...honestly, I have no idea why, but I found many fuses that seemed to be only "half way" plugged in...which fuse controls interior sounds-I dont know. I checked them all. what I do know is...after pressing them all down/in(gently) all the way, my problem was mysteriously solved. Like I said, no harm in checking them. I just read in another thread about a owners guages completely going blank at night. He check, found loose fuses, and the problem went away.

I then read about an aftermarket "anti-corrosive box" hooked up to the aux + post nex to the fuse box.

"take my car in"....

No thanks. Not until I have exhausted all other options-which I didnt have to do. Option #1 worked.

Thanks for the details on the BCM fuse location...
which portion does the under-hood #4 fuse slot(labelled BCM) control?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM

Ok all you nay-sayers...here we go again.

well, yesterday it happened again. But this time, I decided to follow *their* theory.

I drove about 20 miles. I turned the radio on and off several times, triggered the volume settings, and got nothing.

I then came to a red light, turned the ignition off, removed the key, and even opened the door and closed it. Re-fired the engine, and again...no sound at all. No chimes. No sound from radio. Just silence.

I drove another 2 miles, pulled over in to a side street, and turned the car OFF. I then re-started the engine again, and still....nothing. No chimes. No sound from radio. Just silence.

I removed the right-side fuse panel cover next to the console, and pressed in all of those fuses. I then re-started the car. No results. No chimes. No sound from radio. Just silence.

So I exited the vehicle, opened the hood, and removed the main fuse panel cover. I proceeded to press down on each and every fuse/relay, and then re-covered the fuse box, and shut the hood.

I inserted the key in the ignition, and I had Chimes. I had sound from radio. I had no more silence.

Loose fuses folks. They happen. easy fix. ignore the nay-sayers. Believe those who have experienced this problem. it's a quick fix...next time I wont waste my time with *their* theories. I have proven my own.

It isnt a radio problem. radio works flawlessly. Only one thing made it work again...and that was re-seating the underhood fuses.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Smoke,

First of all I don't doubt you. 2nd so far it hasn't happened to me yet...knock on wood

I'm curiuous from the time it first happened to now how many miles have you done on your ride? Do you travel often on bumpy roads. This concerns me a little bit that the issue repeats itself. Again just curious and your answers would be data to keep in the back of my mind fiand when this happens to me

Regards to another DSM driver

GRUMPEE
Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Once again, this thread proves nothing other than you have a bigger problem than "loose" fuses that have nothing to do with the radio:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...7&postcount=83
Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 PM

I keep breaking my fuses when I press them down...do you think I should stop hitting them with a hammer to "push" them down?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 PM

You might want the dealer to check the harness connectors to the box with the fuses. They instralled a Brake Vacuum pump on my SS to fix my low vacuum problem.

After the install they kept getting a low votage check engine light. They found the connector had a bad connection to the harness and once they replaced it the electrical glitch was gone.

The bad part is the connector has no part number and GM had to get one form the part supplier to the factory. The dealer had my car two weeks to get the connector.

Need less to say I no longer have any connection problems.

I am thinking your fuses are not coming out but when you press down on the box it is moving the wire connections and they go back into contact. Kind of like what happen to mine in a way. these connection can be sensitive and they need good contact.