General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Salvage value of totalled HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Couldn't I pop the roof out and cut and weld in? Say its not fixable, it's worth buying for $700, and then hoping I can find another body to put the engine in...?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM

The roof is THE structural component of a unibody. That's why there are so few convertibles now a days.

Used motors go for around $650. Depends on mileage. 110K, I don't know if it's worth it to you. Maybe better to find a Cobalt with a blown engine, if it's that good.

Is the insurance going to get you anything?

If you are willing to remove, store and sell parts, I can see several hundred dollars there. Rear doors, front bumper cover, steering column, seats, interior parts/panels, grille, headlight assemblies, engine parts, ECM, EFI, (everything under the hood), wheels, radio, the trunk panels, side glass. But, take what you can otherwise.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 PM

This is actually one I am considering buying, it's not mine.
I have the time just not the money.. And the know how.
The rims I could use for our current hhr and the front seats and driver side interior door panel.. Then fix this frame or find another with a non smashed roof with a blown engine.. Just looking for opinions..
It would be a garage kept winter project car..
Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 PM

No frame to fix! It's unibody, any crumple means it is useless.(period).
Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Deceased

Being "Unibody" vehicles means that HHR's have a body structure that acts as one complete structure with no additional frame except for the front subframe/engine cradle.

The following illustration outlines the major structural components of a typical unibody vehicle....

Any crushing deformation of the A-Pillars, B-Pillars, roof front support, roof bows, or roof side members renders a vehicle that has been rolled unfit for repair. There is no practical or safe way to replace/renew the damaged component.

If that HHR has a good drivetrain, then you could find an HHR with a bad engine and minor body issues, then combine the bits into one unit. But be forewarned, HHR's have electronic componentry that isn't "backward or forward" compatible for all intents.

You need to match model years, two '06's could be combined, but trying to mate components from an '06 to a 2009 for example would be an exercise in frustration.

Considering the amount of work, and the pitfalls involved, you're better off looking for a decent used car rather than going with the "build your own HHR" idea.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Makes sense to me now I suppose it would not even be legal to try and put it on the road again.
Finding a good used one would be nice if I had ab
Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM

About 5k lying around but as I said more time than money. So the two into one is more economical believe it or not for me.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Economical does not necessarily equal practical - especially when one ends up with what would most likely be a safety-compromised vehicle. We have a few very shady body shops up here, that cut and splice severely damaged cars together, and then try and pass them off as "solid" vehicles - and they are deathtraps by north american standards. However, they continue their third-world practices until they get exposed in the media. It's not worth it, even if one has time to spend.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 AM

Very good. It looks to me as though I will purchase this vehicle and then start the search over the coming months for another "dead" (lack of engine, front or rear end damage) and use that shell to put the engine and various other parts into to make a "whole" "safe" vehicle as not to offend onlookers. :) But at first use this as a parts car to update some of my less desirable parts on our current HHR.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Deceased

Despite coming off on occasion like a bunch of grumpy old men, our main concern is the safety of you and your family. Although we've had some HHR's go to the "Parking Lot in The Sky" since 2005, we haven't lost a member in an accident, that's something we never want to happen.

And remember, once you've stripped all the parts from that shell that you need. There will still probably be enough bits and pieces left to sell off here to recoup your investment.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Quick Reply: Salvage value of totalled HHR?