General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Saying Goodbye to My HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 AM

i just checked out the equinox on the chevy site. the mileage is great and the 600 highway mile gas tank range is great. it is great family vehicle and an even better vacation vehicle.

beautiful car. way out of my price range.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 PM

We were planning on getting an Equinox as our next vehicle, but with my wife losing her job earlier this year, we ended up getting a 2010 HHR to replace the 2006 HHR we were leasing.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM

New Equinox?

My wife and I have a 2009 HHR, which we are planning to keep. We are planning to trade/sell a 1988 Cadillac (gift from in-laws). The choice is between another HHR and an Equinox.

We will be driving about 180 highway miles per week plus around town. We are looking for a bit better ride and more cargo space. A Traverse would have more of both but would be much more expensive.

Someone on the Equinox forum complained that their HHR had more useable cargo space than the Equinox. They did not say what kind of HHR they had, but having looked at Equinoxes, my impression is that there was -some- more cargo space.

Comments?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Hi Second HHR
To be honest, and I did not realize this until I brought my Equinox home from the showroom, you do lose the little mini storage bins that are standard in the cargo space on the HHR. However, that is a trade off I can live with. The E'nox cargo space is wider than the HHR.

I love the extra storage in the dashboard, glove compartment, and the deep space storage bin between the front passenger seats. All doors have good storage in them, front doors have a place for bottled water. There is also a little more room under the front seats. Both front seats have storage nets behind them.

I have the base model Equinox, no bells and whistles, but I dont feel like I have given up anything by trading up to the Equinox. (The Traverse really is nice but you are so right about the price. The E'Nox is a good compromise) The ride is smooth and the mileage is the same as HHRvey. I like that the Enox is higher and roomier. I love how the back seats slide back and forth AND recline! My 6'4 brother in law was very comfortable in the back seat, and the front seat didnt have to be smashed close to the dash to accomodate!

You will not go wrong with an Enox. You just might have a problem finding one available!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM

I find the Nox a much more user friendly vehicle. The storage bins in the back of the HHR are not all the user friendly or easy to reach anyway. The Nox has more front storage and a large console storage.

I find The space and wider Nox in the back easier to use and passenger room is much much greater.

As for price a V6 AWD LTZ can get expensive but the truth is the based Nox at $23K is very well equipt and well optioned. You can buy one for in the $21K range and it make for a very good value.

If you can't afford a base Nox then you can't afford much in this class of vehicle. Anything in this class of value is this much or more.

We are going to buy a Nox in the Future to replace our car. We are waiting till we can use or GM money from our GM credit cards and when the dealers are not selling as many and will come of sticker more.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM

HHR storage

I agree that the two storage boxes in the back are useless. If the were closer to the liftgate, They would be much more useful. They look like an afterthought "Hey, we've got some space here, let's put some storage there."

My wife would like a front seat purse holder, er, console.

Mostly, what I am looking for luggage storage space, plus, there is a move, and maybe two, in the future of our next car. I like the idea of the movable rear seat. My wife and her family are small, so we can economize there. However, I wouldn't want to put anybody any larger than 5' 4" in the back seat of an HHR.

I like the HHR for short and medium trips - a lot. Long distance (over 80 miles one way), it isn't so great.

Thanks for the feedback - at least you told me what I wanted to hear! ;-)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 AM

I love my HHR, but they are pre family/post family vehicles mostly. My wife has an Envoy SLT and we had mini vans and full size suv's for 25 years while we had kids at home.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Randy_W
I love my HHR, but they are pre family/post family vehicles mostly. My wife has an Envoy SLT and we had mini vans and full size suv's for 25 years while we had kids at home.
Well, er, ah, my wife and I are pretty much post-family. Instead of our kids riding with us, it's now her parents. They don't ride with a lot, but we need to be prepared for them to do so.

I've been thinking about anew car for about a year now, and this is my second mind-change - three choices. For a while, I had thought about another HHR (hence my handle), but I began to reflect that two virtually identical cars might not be the best answer.

As someone said, a Traverse would be bigger, but the price increase is larger than the size increase. I have $1,000 on my GM card, so I have golden, padded, handcuffs to GM.

Ideally, I'd like something with larger cargo capacity than the Equinox but not as expensive as a Traverse. Also, an Equinox retains the features I like in the HHR.

During the 10 year expected life span of the car, my wife and I will be moving at least once and ending in a semi-rural area. Eventually, we are going to be in a situation where we have to make our shopping trips count.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Im am in the family era but only one child and one dog.

The HHR works fine as it hauls anything from 2 x 4's to a soap box derby car.

The Nox will fit us fine and work better for the wife as it has more seating room and the console is so large she can stash a large purse and a small child in there it is so large.

We looked at the Arcadia and Traverse. Both are nice but they are large. Not sure we really need that large of a vehicle for what we do. Also the MPG is much less. If gas goes up the Nox will be much cheaper on $5 a gallon fuel.

I was looking at low mileage Acadia's for $26-27K, they are very good buys used but new they are near $50K. I would rather go Tahoe or Yukon before paying that much for a Arcadia.

The only thing I wish for the Nox is a 3.6 V6 DI engine and about a foot longer cargo area.