General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Seat belt warning chime disable

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:45 PM

Seat belt warning chime disable

Does anyone know how to disable the chime that warns that your seatbelt is not connected? A friend just bought the HHR and it is driving him nuts. I have read that some cars require some wacky process of turning the key to accessory, then lock and unlock the seatbelt hasp three times within 15 seconds. Not sure if this would work on the HHR.
TIA
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 PM

I know mike at socal has disabled his. I don't mind the seatbelt chime, but would like to get rid of the door chime if poss. MIKE PLEASE HELP US!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:54 PM

I installed an aftermarket stereo and wired it direct. No more turn signal chimes, I can now play the stereo with the doors open, no seat belt chime when I unplug before reaching the garage, and best of all - I can play the stereo without having the key in.

Another great feature of direct wiring is providing your stereo with a stronger power source than the ACC line, this can often increase your amps output. (*Note: my Pioneer head has a 30-amp fuse inline already.)

The HHR audio harness pulls out a good 8 extra inches, so cutting the plugs off leaves you with lots of wire. If you were to sell, or wanted to go back to stock, the plugs can be easily reattached with butt connectors. It's not nearly as bad as it seems.

If you want to retain your stock stereo, simply remove it and unplug the harness. Next, pull the harness cable out a bit for access, and cut the dark green wire running to pin 5 on one of the two plugs. This wire transmits the GM Serial LAN data (chimes for seatbelts, lights on, door open, etc.)

Make sure you cut the correct wire. If you cut the wrong one by accident, just reattach it with a butt connector and try again.

Hope it helps,
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

What ever happened to just wearing you seatbelt. It's one less reason for the police to pull you over and it could save your life.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
What ever happened to just wearing you seatbelt. It's one less reason for the police to pull you over and it could save your life.
Hey. I actually agree with Capt'n. Promise it won't happen again. Wearing your seatbelt is the best way to get rid of that nasty chime. I've been in 10 accidents, 5 of them were severe. I would not be here if it wasn't for my seatbelt. As it here in TX...Click it or Ticket!
Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 PM

I wear mine most of the time. My last BAD wreck, the investigator actually told me afterwards that if i'd been wearing my seatbelt I probably would not have survived. You see, after rolling six times then landing back on the highway across two lanes of traffic I threw myself onto the ground through the then busted out driver's side window and ran for the grassy median. As I cleared the end of my truck an 18 wheeler hit it and carried it another 150 feet down the freeway. I literally felt the wind rush by me as I cleared the truck. The investigator said the extra second or two it would have taken me to unlatch the seatbelt would have put me beside my truck when the 18 wheeler hit it. It's more of a gut feeling for me when I get in the vehicle although I admit I wear it more than I go without it. Especially in the Dallas area, the cops definitely look for seatbelts!!! I got a ticket a few years ago to prove it....my attorney said to just pay it, no use fighting the ticket.

CBL
Old 04-12-2006, 07:51 PM

Chimes don't have anything to do with wearing the belt IMO. There are plenty of times it's safe to unbuckle - and I HATE hearing the chimes. Pulling into my driveway is one, getting out to get the mail...in line at the drive through getting my wallet out. I could name many more examples.

I'm not advocating driving without seatbelts in the least, but seatbelt chimes are not something I need.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I'm not advocating driving without seatbelts in the least, but seatbelt chimes are not something I need.
Sounds like your advocating it to me
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM

am i the only one here who doesnt like a seatbelt?

i think they should be like cigarettes, your choice your consequences
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

I don't even notice my seat belt when it's on. Even if I'm in the passenger seat of a buddys car and he doesn't wear his belt I still wear mine. It's just a natural instinct for me, any time I am in a vehicle I buckle up. I think all cars should come with five point belts.

Quick Reply: Seat belt warning chime disable