General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Seat belt warning chime disable

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:44 AM

What chime? Crank the radio up!

FWIW, I can still see the helmet of the paramedic with MCFD telling me, "Son, the only reason you're alive is because you had that safety hardness on." Looking at the aftermath, I needed no further convincing.

-JJ
Old 06-19-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by JJ_HHR
What chime? Crank the radio up!

FWIW, I can still see the helmet of the paramedic with MCFD telling me, "Son, the only reason you're alive is because you had that safety hardness on." Looking at the aftermath, I needed no further convincing.

-JJ
Point well made!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM

disable seat belt chime

Originally Posted by PANEL1stnGA
So after all those postings does anyone know how to just turn the chime off?? i would realy like to turn mine off to ... i was able to do it in my last truck

I disconnected the wire connector under the driver seat. The reminder chime is gone, and I am happy with the silence. It was over a foot long, so I wrapped up the extra wire with a tie-strap.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fantomfreke
I wear mine soley because i dont like hearing the chime. Been in a couple of wrecks (2 of them were flips, no belts) and no problems. My little brother was in a 30mph collision, snapped his collar bone and dislocated his shoulder (wearing a seatbelt). I understand the better safe than sorry mentality, but i believe that, much like the helmet when i ride, it should be a choice not a law. Ever notice that most cops don't wear one?
What really sucks is when i go to a wreck scene and know that if the person hadnt been wearing a belt, that wouldnt have sustained some of the injuries or died. Rollover with a pickup, if the person hadnt been wearing, they would have been shoved to the right as the truck rolled. Painful? yes, but not fatal. Instead the spool locked on the seatbelt and held them semi-firmly in place, long enough for the roof to come down and crush their skull. Broken hips, shattered pelvises, the list goes on.
Of course then you have the wonderful airbag. Car pulls out in front of you, you lock your arms (everyone does its reflex) and hit the brakes. Airbag goes off and depending on your position and size, breaks both your wrists and thumbs.
The problem with seatbelts is that they are one size fits all, i understand mass production and all that, but one cannot expect a safety device that is based on an adult male frame of 5'8" & 150lbs, to be the utmost in safety for all people.

You may now begin flaming me...
Most of what you've posted are common myths associated with seat belts and airbags that were either never true or were worked out more than 25 years ago on the seat belts and 10 years ago with second-generation airbags. Most modern cars have height-adjustable anchors, airbags will deploy faster than you can "lock your arms", and high-strength steel is used in the roof pillars to prevent crush.

I work with a lot of cops--and they all wear their safety belts 100% of the time, especially the highway patrol. I have survived an unsurvivable collision because of a seat belt and the less than 1% risk of being killed by a seat belt or airbag is better than the risk of being killed because I didn't have those devices.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by neanderpaul
I disconnected the wire connector under the driver seat. The reminder chime is gone, and I am happy with the silence. It was over a foot long, so I wrapped up the extra wire with a tie-strap.
wouldn't this deploy the airbag also????
Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 AM

disable seat belt chime

Originally Posted by itschaboykenny
wouldn't this deploy the airbag also????
"Deploy" the airbag? Certainly not. I disconnected the wire, and my airbag did not deploy.

"Disable" the airbag? No. The sensor to deploy the airbag is up in the engine compartment. That's the best place to detect a front-end collision.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 AM

Don't have a problem with the seatbelt chime, just wish I could turn off the automatic doorlock. Why does the damn car think it's smarter than I am? I'd like to back it upfrom the garage without the doors locking, just once...

Jim
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Jeda13
Don't have a problem with the seatbelt chime, just wish I could turn off the automatic doorlock. Why does the damn car think it's smarter than I am? I'd like to back it upfrom the garage without the doors locking, just once...
After starting it, shift to neutral before closing the driver's door (or passenger). Auto lock shouldn't engage.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeda13

It's not the car, it's the goverment who thinks they know better than you do and wants to do all your thinking for you. The tire pressure monitors just push me over the edge.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
After starting it, shift to neutral before closing the driver's door (or passenger). Auto lock shouldn't engage.
Stick Shift...I'll see if this works?

Jim

Quick Reply: Seat belt warning chime disable