General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Service Traction Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 05:25 PM

Service Traction Light

Service Traction Light, T/C Light, and Check Engine Light.
I had an issue with the Service Traction Light and T/C Light not going out or intermittently coming on along with my Check Engine Light. I went to 3 Garages and nobody could give me a valid reason why. My car had been flagged however several months earlier with a Front Axle Seal Leak but was told it was minor and I could go without a repair for several months. I never made the direct correlation between the 2, however as the Tranny Fluid became more and more visible in my driveway, I found myself adding several quarts of Tranny Fluid over 3 months so finally took it in for the FRONT AXLE SEAL LEAK. Turns out they recommended to do the rear at the same time as it would only be a couple hundred more and as soon as that was completed the Service Traction Light, T/C Light & Check Engine Lights have never come back on. I have 216k km on the HHR.

Last edited by Graham Konrad; 03-28-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:49 PM

The rear what?

Do you mean they replaced all 4 wheel hubs/bearings? If so, did the traction light start after that? If that is true one or more of the hubs is either defective or the wiring got boggled, take it back to whoever did the work.

Axle seals have nothing to do with transmission fluid on the ground.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:57 PM

The job of an axle seal is to keep the transmission fluid or differential oil from leaking out. In some all-wheel drive vehicles, one of the front CV axles is connected to the transfer case (unit). In the case of my vehicle I also had the Check Engine Light coming on. This was the only repair I completed and the Check Engine Light went out as well as the Traction Control and Service Traction Lights ALL RESOLVED.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Okie dokie, glad it’s fixed.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Graham Konrad
The job of an axle seal is to keep the transmission fluid or differential oil from leaking out. In some all-wheel drive vehicles, one of the front CV axles is connected to the transfer case (unit). In the case of my vehicle I also had the Check Engine Light coming on. This was the only repair I completed and the Check Engine Light went out as well as the Traction Control and Service Traction Lights ALL RESOLVED.
???
Not sure why the comparison of all wheel drive/transfer case to the HHR's 2 wheel drive system.
And if you would have pulled the codes for the CEL then you would have known which corner of the car was the source of that CEL.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:05 PM

I don't know how somebody could change rear axle seals. There are no such things on an HHR.
When the car is parked the ATF level is below the axle seals.

I did not mean to enrage you. It sounded like you were asking for advice. Since you are evidently an expert we welcome your expertise to the forum.