General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shakey Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SSguy
in looking at your rims, do you see evidence of any weights missing ?
Actually, I was referring to any missing balance weights..

Last edited by sleeper; 10-21-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Panel08
move um to the rear or rotate um?

The front to the back just to see if it eliminates the shake in the wheel.

Once you do that then you have it down to the problem being in those two wheels. Then you look for missing weights, bad tire or wheel.

Once you narrow it to two wheels it takes tie rods axles and other suspension parts out of the mix also you get it down to two tires if you are lucky.

Moving the tires is the easiest cheapest move if there is nothing wrong that stands out.

The whole point of this exercise is if the wheels shakes get the two tires in the back and see if it is still shaking. On the rear the tires will not shake the wheel much if at all if the rear tires are good.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 AM

Shakey Steering wheel

Originally Posted by Panel08
move um to the rear or rotate um?
Been in the business years ago, typically when the vibration (steering wheel shaking) cycles it is balancing or a problem with a tire, as stated herein you can switch front to rear. The vibration can usually be felt in the seat when rear tires are out of balance or there is ply separation in one of the tires etc... Panel08 you own a 2008 panel, how many miles are on the tires ?

You may still be under warranty if it is the tire(s) in this case, your dealer will more than likely spin the tires to determine which tire(s) has a problem. Tread wear can be a concern if a tire needs to be replaced.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 AM

What you have is a "Harmonic Vibration" Sounds a bit complex but its quite simple.

The audible realm depends on a condition of dynamic equilibrium, an overall stability of the air or other medium - within this realm occurs a kind of sound - very noticeable, very carrying- the sound of tires on the road, the sound of the engine,transmission etc... Everything has its own frequency thus having various different wave lengths.

"This kind of sound, harmonic sound, consists for example in a pipe of air an oscillation of the whole, of halves, of thirds, quarters and so on with generally decreasing loudness. Within each note there is a complex of many notes, a vibration, and these all bear simple whole number divisional relationships to each other, a harmonic vibration."

Basically, as your vehicle ages the harmonics become more "out of wack" I guess is the best phrase. Vehicle Manufacturers spend alot of time and money to perfect vehicle harmonics all the way down to the size and shape of the antenna. The most common cause of harmonic vibration in todays vehicles is abnormal tire wear. Your tires could be perfectly balanced and wheels straight and you can still get that annoying vibration that comes and goes. I would have the tires checked for diagonal wear. If this condition exists then have them cross the rear to front and the front straight back and balance. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:27 PM

I think Im gonna rotate the tires and have um balanced first see if that works. it as about 29000 miles on it... Also I know the alignment is a little of on the car so maybe that may something to do with it? Or not?

I just want to thank everyone havent been on the forum in a long time and everyone is just as nice and helpful as I remember.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Alignment wont cause a vibration; however it will cause thrust angle wear on the inside shoulders of your tires which will in turn cause a harmonic vibration. Also if you have 29K on those tires and never rotated or rebalanced you can rest assured that is your problem.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM

theyve been rotated but never rebalanced