General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shaving Bumper 'Bumps'

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Shaving Bumper 'Bumps'

Gentlemen,
Some time ago, I read a post of someone who shaved the bumper bumps off, similar to an SS. It's just that I can't stand the look of the bumps on the LT's, I think that they ruin the 'flow' of the whole front end... It's not like I don't want an SS, I can't get a panel SS in 2010. My Imperial Blue, 2.4, LT2 w/ 5 sp, is due in next Wednesday.
I think that the 'doer' of this project said he'd never do it again, and that it was way too much trouble. Remember who did it?
Any inputs/comments to this idea?
Also, what type of plastic is the HHR using?
Thanks,
Mo
Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Yo Mo,

Here's the Thread, I Hope :

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=24291&page=8

Hope this Helps ,
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 AM

DLVRNIT,
Thanks a lot!!
Mo
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by T 20
Also, what type of plastic is the HHR using?
It's EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer). To do the job, hit up a wrecking yard for a modern car with a torn up bumper (they may even give it to you if it's not repairable). Cut up the bumper for parts and start piecing together the shape you want. Use a plastic welder to stitch together the pieces, and then use 3M or other "bumper repair" epoxies to fill. This acts as both a "glue" and a filler. Sand until you get close and then bust out the primer (don't forget the flex additive).
Old 10-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by XXL
...hit up a wrecking yard for a modern car with a torn up bumper (they may even give it to you if it's not repairable)....
Sometimes you'll see front or rear bumpers lying on the side of the road-at least around here (Philly area).
I don't know why the tow trucks or carriers don't take them.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Thumbs up

XXL,
Thanks for the EPDM; I have a friend with a body shop who has a stack of damaged bumpers. I just wonder if most/all of the bumpers are EPDM? If I stick to late model GM, I'll probably be alright, right???
Eastwood sells a plastic welder w/ rods, or, I can buy just the EPDM rods from Urethane Supply Co.
Mo
Old 10-24-2009, 01:49 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by T 20
XXL,
Thanks for the EPDM; I have a friend with a body shop who has a stack of damaged bumpers. I just wonder if most/all of the bumpers are EPDM? If I stick to late model GM, I'll probably be alright, right???
Eastwood sells a plastic welder w/ rods, or, I can buy just the EPDM rods from Urethane Supply Co.
Yes, most late model bumpers (GM, Ford, etc.) are EPDM. If you stick with Chevy intermediates, you'll be fine. Urethane Supply Co, will have everything you need... 'cept the ratty old bumper
Old 10-24-2009, 04:21 PM

I may be missing the obvious, but why not get a used SS front bumper off of a wrecked car and repaint? I think it would be one HECK of a lot easier than trying to work with that flex stuff the bumpers are made of. I think in the long run you'll end up happier. Just a thought. Good luck with all of that. God Bless, Marc
Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 PM

SS bumper

Marcruger,
I was gonna do just that; but, it seems I read that the SS bumper won't fit the LT2 grille properly? I did price out the SS bumper and all assoiated parts. The total came to about 1K... For 1K, I can do a lot of fitting and welding... Frankly, I haven't checked the salvage yards for an SS bumper. I happen to live about 75 miles from any junkyards.
Mo

Last edited by T 20; 10-24-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 AM

T-You're lucky to get that drive train combo.I thought it had been dropped.You'll enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Shaving Bumper 'Bumps'