General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shimmy at 60mph???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 AM

No problems here and I still have the 17 inch rims and firestone tires that came on the HHR! I have had it up around 100 mph several times, 9400 miles and no shaking! But keep us updated on what you find out, I would really like to know. Hopefully after I finish my house I will start on my car!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teknobunie
Hopefully after I finish my house I will start on my car!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I have my priorities backwards. No wonder my wife gets pissed at me for working on my HHR rather than the house.

Last edited by captain howdy; 04-21-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I guess I have my priorities backwards. No wonder my wife gets pissed at my for working on my HHR rather than the house.

LMAO!!!!!!!! I guess so, maybe you should switch them for a week just to please her!!!!!!!!! See what ya get from that....
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Cant your Husband work on your house so you can play with your HHR.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 PM

In reply to the original post...

If a proper re-balancing did not solve the problem, there's a good chance of having a tire "out of round". May want to have that checked.

Here's something that happened to me years ago.... I had a balance problem, had them rebalanced twice, checked for round, etc., with no change. Turned out that one tire that had a flat fixed before the problem started had about 2 cups of water in it!! Evidently the tire place wasn't too good about periodically draining their compressor.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:22 PM

Good thought JoeR!!! I've encountered that yyyyeeeeeaaarrrrssss ago too- when 'fix-a-flat' was all the rage! Damn stuff would clump-up in one spot when centrifical force took over (higher speeds) and cause a wobble. Like having a big chunk of snow or mud stuck to one spot on the inside of your rim.
Just seems strange... this only happens between 55 - 60mph~!?!?

Called and ended up going BACK to the dealer today (cuz they asked me to) ... just to find out their *specialty* guy isn't even in ! (Just L.O.V.E. dealers!)
So... I pissed and moaned to the service manager (it made me feel a bit better) and now I've gotta take it back Monday afternoon. Why the hell they can just check the alignment is beyond me!!! Kinda find it hard to believe they only have ONE guy that knows how to do alignments there .
I'll re-post when I learn more.
On a side-bar... yesterday's visit to the dealer left me a little surprise... grease on my floormats, headliner an A-pilar!!! Nice, eh? (Yea- I was a little stoked about that too!!!)
Old 04-22-2006, 08:35 PM

While I was at discount wheel wharehouse today, the sales manager (Joe) told me something I didn't know about GM vehicles. GM is putting a retaining clips on its premium wheels. He said if you use aftermarket wheels and don't take them off your wheels they will be out of balance.

Low and behold as I was driving home...NO SHIMMY! It makes sense too...I only noticed the shimmy after I lowered my vehicle. I must have moved the retainers and threw my wheels off balance.

So my recommendation if you have the 17" wheels or aftermarket wheels and you have the shimmy, remove your wheels and remove the retainers, you'll see them on the stud. Do a test drive and see if it's gone. No guarantees but it did work for me! No More Shimmy! Now about this rubbing issue

Ng
Old 04-22-2006, 10:45 PM

Your problem sounds more like an out of balance condition or a slightly bent wheel. Often when tires are balanced they will miss a "Sweet spot" of unbalance because the balancer only checks at certain speeds (so to speak). It's most not likely alignment related issue since alignment dosent usually manifest itself in wheel wobble, but instead tire wear.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Your problem sounds more like an out of balance condition or a slightly bent wheel. Often when tires are balanced they will miss a "Sweet spot" of unbalance because the balancer only checks at certain speeds (so to speak). It's most not likely alignment related issue since alignment dosent usually manifest itself in wheel wobble, but instead tire wear.
FYI: There was no shimmy until I pulled off the wheels to do the springs...Now it's gone, this is something that may work if balancing the wheels doesn't...

Ng
Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 AM

Okay shimmy update, almost 500 miles at an average of 75 mph and a run up to 100 mph and saw no shimmy this weekend...

Quick Reply: Shimmy at 60mph???