General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shimmy at 60mph???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:56 AM

UPDATE: Well, there really is no update (yet)... besides the dealer kept my vehicle overnight!!! We'll see what they come up with - if anything. Until then, I've got this MONSTER Trailblazer that likes to guzzle the gas!! OUCH
Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 AM

Resolution?

Well... here it is- for what it's worth.
Picked up the HHR from the dealer late yesterday afternoon (they had it overnight ) -BUT- it 'seems' that the problem *may* have been fixed!?!?
To recap- I took this in for a slight/mild vibration that could be felt through the steering wheel (and else where in the cabin) at speeds between 55mph - ~65,70mph. I took it in on 4/20 and they rebalanced the wheels on the spot... didn't fix the issue. Turns out mechanic never took it for a test-drive!! (gotta love that!) Ended up taking it back in (overnighter) on 4/24- same complaint, got it back 4/25. The *supposed* cause: REFIT CRADLE AND ENGINE MOUNTS !!!
WTF?
The dealer claims they RE-balanced the tires (I thought that was done 4/20!?) and had to REALIGN the engine mount... which seemed to be off!
Now I'm no mechanic, but I know when it feels like someones trying to pull the wool over my eyes, and THIS sounds like some pretty far fetched BS to me! How can an engine mount be OUT OF ALIGNMENT? Additionally- the service manager 'told' me they disconnected one 1/2shaft and spun it 180degrees!?!?!? (I don't really think I look that stupid- but...)
Oddly enough- it seems as if the issue's been resolved, at least for the moment. Funny thing about this recent service is the work order ONLY says 'refit cradle and engine mounts'... no 1/2shaft service, no balancing-Hmmmmmm.
Of course this was all warranty work (Hmmmmmmm?). Anyone think this was legit???
-SCOOT
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 AM

Well, I've never heard of that type of fix before...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:57 AM

Need I say more? The problem LIVES!

Trying to get the dealer to (recognize), then FIX this issue is like dealing with a cross-eye'd monkey!
Also noticed they managed to scratch one of my rims in the process (while balancing)

Thankfully they've ordered a new replacement without a fuss...

As much as I DON'T want to take it back... I really don't know what to do!? The shimmy's not that big of a deal, but with only 2500 miles on it- I fear some serious damage may be the result some time down the road! It's really funny how NO ONE ELSE can feel this!!!! Maybe this only happens between my ears at 60mph
I don't think the dealers even checked the alignment- but is happy to throw some off-the-wall fixes at it (see previous).

Help?Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:41 AM

Did you try a diffrent dealer?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 AM

Have you tried taking off the retaining clips found on the wheel studs? It worked for mine, but my shimmy was from a stop, not at 60 mph...Won't hurt anything to try...

Ng
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM

No- haven't tried a different dealer (as of yet)... trust me - this dealer is in a 'higher class/income based' area AND has a trusted following (obviously not for the service dept) - my extended family has purchased 7 cars from them within the past 10 yrs .
I also haven't removed the clips yet... figured I'd pull 'em off when I get around to lowering it (which I don't want to do until this issue get's resolved!!!). God knows they'll just blame the shake on the lowering - even though they knew it was there beforehand!
Plus- in all honesty- that's a BIG reason why I purchased (1st: economy... overall costs inclusive of vehichle price, insurance, and gas mileage 2nd: SO I WOULD WRENCH ONLY WHEN I WANTED TO DO SOMETHING COOL TO IT!!! )
I had ONE thought this morning ( )... decided to remove the chrome valve caps I put on some time ago thinking this may eliminate the problem (even though they were balanced with them on there). No dice. Didn't think they'd make that much of a difference.

Any GM tech's out there? This isn't my 1st vehicle, and it's not my 1st FWD, but I can DEFINITELY 'feel' a vibration IN THE FRONT END @ 58,59,and 60mph!!! It's not super obvious- but if you were to sit in my passenger seat and grab my forearm at those speeds, YOU'D FEEL IT TOO!! That's noticable enough for me. I guess I should mention this is felt on different roads at different times of the day - although it's most noticable on smooth asphalt.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions! Not sure how the dealer would take to replacing the tires possibally due to one 'out of round'.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM

Any thoughts on driving faster than 60? Seriously, keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadPig
Any thoughts on driving faster than 60? Seriously, keep us posted.

Too bad it didn't only occur at 100! Wouldn't care!!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SCOOT

Too bad it didn't only occur at 100! Wouldn't care!!
I'm afraid that would be tragic for me!

Quick Reply: Shimmy at 60mph???