General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shipping an HHR to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 12:08 PM

Shipping an HHR to Canada

What would be the best way for a Canada buyer to have a car shipping up from the U.S.? We’re talking from Ohio to the Windsor area.

Also, any scuttlebutt on when the border might open?
Old 05-17-2021, 03:54 PM
Administrator

No the border is not open, you would have to contact a car transport company for the shipping, or contact Canadian Border to see if you would be allowed to cross into the States , at Detroit, just to pickup the vehicle, it would be best if you had the car trailer with you. You can’t use a tow dolly for an unregistered vehicle. fastsuv might have more information, he did the reverse when he bought Oldblue back in September 2019.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I was hoping there were gaggles of independent carriers with flatbed wreckers running back and forth, but I don't know where to find them.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Old 05-17-2021, 10:37 PM

Does the Canadian who is buying the car for use in Canada have all the right paperwork for the border, and the only thing left is how to physically get the car across the border?

As Oldblue said, I imported his car into the US. It took me a month to get all the paperwork necessary for US Customs to allow me to bring the car across the border. This included getting a letter from GM Canada saying my VIN # HHR met US emissions rules. Even with all the paperwork, I still wasn't sure if they would let me into the US with the car because of some minor detail I missed.

I can't speak for how difficult it is getting a car from the US into Canada, but it probably isn't easy.

As for actually getting the car across the border, I arranged a car trailer rental at a U-haul in Canada and rented it one-way back to the US.

There are companies that specialize in importing cars into the US from Canada, I assume there are ones in Canada that do the same. You might call them to see if they know who can flatbed a car across the border.

Steve
Old 05-18-2021, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the ideas. The paperwork isn’t the issue in this case. I was having trouble finding the companies or independents that actually routinely haul the cars North. I understand there are on-line resources for finding someone to do the hauling. Probably a subset of the same entities that haul cars around the lower 48. Maybe I’m just using the wrong Google search terms.

Originally Posted by fastsuv
Does the Canadian who is buying the car for use in Canada have all the right paperwork for the border, and the only thing left is how to physically get the car across the border?

As Oldblue said, I imported his car into the US. It took me a month to get all the paperwork necessary for US Customs to allow me to bring the car across the border. This included getting a letter from GM Canada saying my VIN # HHR met US emissions rules. Even with all the paperwork, I still wasn't sure if they would let me into the US with the car because of some minor detail I missed.

I can't speak for how difficult it is getting a car from the US into Canada, but it probably isn't easy.

As for actually getting the car across the border, I arranged a car trailer rental at a U-haul in Canada and rented it one-way back to the US.

There are companies that specialize in importing cars into the US from Canada, I assume there are ones in Canada that do the same. You might call them to see if they know who can flatbed a car across the border.

Steve
Old 05-18-2021, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Reading material

https://www.canadiancarshipping.com/...-car-shipping/

and for a quote I found these guys

https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-canada/
Old 05-18-2021, 10:31 PM

Great links! Thank you!

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Old 05-19-2021, 06:22 AM
Administrator

So, what are you importing to Canada? An SS or SS panel ? Maybe an SS AA5?

we will need photos!

we love photos!
Old 05-19-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
So, what are you importing to Canada? An SS or SS panel ? Maybe an SS AA5?

we will need photos!

we love photos!
Sounds more like he's selling his HHR, sending it Canada.

Quick Reply: Shipping an HHR to Canada