General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by TomR00
I've got an 08 2LT with the 2.4L engine, has plenty of power and I drive over a mountain to work 5 days a week, can hold 55 mph easily going up the mountain. Also have hitch on it and it pulls my loaded 4 x 8 utility trailer easily.
I've just passed 4900 miles on it, no brake problems, no water leaks, only problem I've had is with a engine check light caused by a faulty selonoid in the purge cannister of the emissions system. That's been replaced and the car is now perfect, no problems with anything.

TomR
I didn't even think the HHR was capable of hauling a trailer, thats impressive. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CuriousC
I didn't even think the HHR was capable of hauling a trailer, thats impressive. Thanks.
Trailer hauling only with the automatic, and only up to 1000 lb. total payload, although I've hauled approx. 1300 lb. and it handled it pretty easily.

TomR
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM

I got my 06 in Oct 05, only issues I have had was no runningboards, installed. Bad tank of gas. and the water temp thermostat stuck open, fixed under warranty after the warranty was done.. I have 43,000 with no other complaints. Have a 2.4 auto, tow my atv, and plain old have fun in my HHR.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by CuriousC
What I really want is a lot of power, but I don't like the idea of paying an extra .30 or .40 cents more a gallon for it. I do a lot of driving so it adds up. .
I think the 2.4L will probably meet my needs, the HHR SS sounds really nice but I really don't want to spend a few thousand extra.
Hi CuriousC, I am a little confused what it is that you would like, as you know there is nothing for nothing, but the SS @ 260 hp is the cheapest power you can buy and still get good mileage as well and has bigger/better disc brakes at both ends.

I think…………. You should buy a SS! ............(but then who cares what I think)
Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 PM

I had them installed. I think final cost of rotors, pads and installation was $300. I really feel the difference in braking... I agree with the previous poster, whether it's HHR's, iPods, toaster ovens, or televisions, most people who post are those who had problems of some kind. They, including myself, are the minority.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 PM

I have had my 06 HHR 2.4 LT for 2 years now. I have 29000 miles and have not had any major problems with my car. The only small problem I have had is the occasional radio pop, has not been that big of a deal that I want to take it in for the day so they can fix it. I still love driving this car and will probably end up trading it in on the SS So far this has been one of the best cars I have owned and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
I got my 06 in Oct 05, only issues I have had was no runningboards, installed. Bad tank of gas. and the water temp thermostat stuck open, fixed under warranty after the warranty was done.. I have 43,000 with no other complaints. Have a 2.4 auto, tow my atv, and plain old have fun in my HHR.
Runningboards? I thought they only put running boards on trucks, suv's, and crossovers? Oh I had a question also, how easy is it to get into the HHR? I know with the Accord its so close to the ground that you have to duck down to get into it. I remember when we were looking at the Cadillac SRX the greatest thing about it was that you didn't have to climb up or duck down to get into it. Very easy entry.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
Hi CuriousC, I am a little confused what it is that you would like, as you know there is nothing for nothing, but the SS @ 260 hp is the cheapest power you can buy and still get good mileage as well and has bigger/better disc brakes at both ends.

I think…………. You should buy a SS! ............(but then who cares what I think)
I know nothing is for nothing, but I am trying to buy another vehicle next year and I am trying to save up as much money as possible so I can make the auto loan as low as possible. I built both the SS and a 2LT the price difference is a bit over $3k which isn't bad. If I can get the price of the SS down into the $22k range I will probably opt for the SS. I might just spend the extra money for the better brakes and since I like all that power. Just a question the SS doesn't have issues with warped brakes right?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by burbhhr
I had them installed. I think final cost of rotors, pads and installation was $300. I really feel the difference in braking... I agree with the previous poster, whether it's HHR's, iPods, toaster ovens, or televisions, most people who post are those who had problems of some kind. They, including myself, are the minority.
Thats not bad, I thought with installation it would cost over $500. Did Chevy put the brakes in for you or did you take it to an outside mechanic.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by deadhead
I have had my 06 HHR 2.4 LT for 2 years now. I have 29000 miles and have not had any major problems with my car. The only small problem I have had is the occasional radio pop, has not been that big of a deal that I want to take it in for the day so they can fix it. I still love driving this car and will probably end up trading it in on the SS So far this has been one of the best cars I have owned and would recommend it to anyone.
We put on about the same mileage a year, 15k miles a year right? Anyway glad the HHR is working out for the majority.