General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM

As for keeping it simple that doesn't work for me. I had a sunroof and ABS in my Accord so you can't expect me to downgrade.
Why not? That's a strange reasoning to me. I had heated leather, ABS and a sunroof in my previous car, and I don't feel one bit that I've "downgraded". I hated the leather in extreme weather and I wasn't overly impressed with the ABS performance in icy conditions. The sunroof I did use, but can easily live without. So the way I see it, I'm driving a more comfortable car (to me) and I'm saving myself some trouble down the road. Needs and desires are 2 different things, and they do change over one's lifetime.

To sum it up, and based on my own experience, the HHR is a solid and trouble-free platform (the engine/trans combo is pretty much bullet-proof) with a few quirks (rotors, outwards visibility and interior layout).

Yves
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
Why not? That's a strange reasoning to me. I had heated leather, ABS and a sunroof in my previous car, and I don't feel one bit that I've "downgraded". I hated the leather in extreme weather and I wasn't overly impressed with the ABS performance in icy conditions. The sunroof I did use, but can easily live without. So the way I see it, I'm driving a more comfortable car (to me) and I'm saving myself some trouble down the road. Needs and desires are 2 different things, and they do change over one's lifetime.

To sum it up, and based on my own experience, the HHR is a solid and trouble-free platform (the engine/trans combo is pretty much bullet-proof) with a few quirks (rotors, outwards visibility and interior layout).

Yves
We used all these features and we enjoyed them. Many times the ABS saved us, and the sunroof we enjoyed greatly during the spring. We also have a fully loaded Honda Ridgeline and we use all the features we paid for. It was money well spent IMO. I tested the cloth seats in this vehicle and didn't find them to be comfortable so I upgraded to leather seats which I found to be more comfortable.

These options might break eventually but the question is how long? If it happens after 50k-60k miles I will repair or replace whatever breaks without complaint. If it happens at 10k miles though that is absolutely unacceptable. I feel if something is well designed it will last. I know it won't last forever but if the option makes my life easier or more comfortable its money well spent IMO. My sunroof is a good example, it works as well as it did 15 years ago without any service or leaks. Its doesn't even make weird noises when its open.

When I buy something I look at what the feature will do for me. Not how much it cost, or how much it will cost me down the line. If I don't want the feature on the other hand I won't buy it. That is the deciding factor for me. If I need/want the feature or not. I know some people just buy a vehicle as basic transport from point A to point B but thats not me, I enjoy driving and spend a lot of time in my vehicle. I drive 15k miles a year, thats a lot of time spent inside the vehicle and I want to make that time enjoyable and features like leather seats, sunroof, etc make it enjoyable.

Other peoples opinion might differ but thats what I expect.

I am greatful for everyone that has responded so far, you have given me great insight into the HHR. As of now I am leaning more towards the HHR compared to Astra.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:46 PM

I took them to an outside mechanic... Rocky's automotive here in Burbank. He installed for $80. Pads and rotors cost, $220 including tax.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by burbhhr
I took them to an outside mechanic... Rocky's automotive here in Burbank. He installed for $80. Pads and rotors cost, $220 including tax.
Thats cheap. At least if worse comes to worse I won't bankrupt myself replacing the brakes.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 PM

It's a pretty straight forward brake job I guess... All the best with the new purchase. It's a great car... it's not a high end luxury ride by any stretch... but again with the aftermarket brakes, it does more than is asked of it.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM

I now have to add my 2 cents...

First, go out and rent an HHR and see if you like it. The rentals are cloth LS (2.2 engine) but you will get a "feel" for the car and experience some of the blind spots. Also, "experience" the lack of space between the two front seats and the one cup holder in the back. Those are the interior negatives. BUT, you gotta drive it. Drive it on the freeway and back roads. Experience the feel of the car. And if you like the LS...you will LOVE the 2 LT.

You need to know that I traded in a 2007 Honda Accord for a 2007 HHR. CRAZY??? YES!! Do I love my HHR...ABSOLUTELY. I have owned Honda Accords since 2000, with a Ford 500 and Explorer thrown in (I buy a lot of cars...I love 'em.) But never have I enjoyed a vehicle as much as my HHR, affectionately known as "Car 11."

Now I will tell you this, I did have to do a couple of things to make the car handle better:

1) Installed a rear anti-sway bar. This makes a HUGE difference.

2) Replaced the OEM Firestone tires with Michelin Exalto Pilots.

These two additions have made a tremendous difference Car 11's handling.

I've had Car 11 for three months...my twin 18 year old daughters have asked, "Ok dad, you've had this car all of three months...what's wrong with it? Are the seats uncomfortable, what about the braking, the acceleration, etc...Dad, you ALWAYS find something wrong with a car after a couple of months!"

Well, I can tell you, after 5500 miles the car is still great. I have no complaints...none...because I knew up front what I was getting into. I knew the center area between the front seats had less storage space than the Honda. I knew there were some "interesting" blind spots to get used to. Most of all, I knew UP FRONT that I would have to add a sway bar and possibly new tires (which I budgeted for).

I have the sun roof and have purposely gone into a particular car wash with a strong directed down spray just to see if it would leak....NO LEAK...NADA...Nothing!

So far, the OEM brakes are fine and work well.

Gas mileage....36 MPG on the freeway when I stay at 55MPH...32 MPG at 65 MPH. Back roads, Car 11 is getting between 24 and 28 MPG. I do burn premium, but you can burn 87 Octane for the 2.4 Ecotec, although premium gas in recommended.

Based on my research, the 2.4 Ecotec engine should last 150,000 miles with proper maintenance. My plan is to keep this vehicle for 6 years...I drive 1800 miles a month...at the end of six years, Car 11 is projected to have 130,000 miles on it. I do not do "jack rabbit" starts and I treat the engine kindly. I hope it makes it. I believe it will, but only time will tell. In the meantime, I am enjoying driving it!!

I recommend this vehicle, BUT it is NOT for everyone. You need to drive it for a while (rent one for a week) to confirm it will work for you. Oh yes, I can definitely attest that the leather seats are much more comfortable than the cloth seats.

Ok...this is a long post...but it is also a truthful post.

Peace,
Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 PM

The Ecotec will go well over 300,000 miles with proper maintenance.

365,867 miles to be exact:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100893
Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 PM

WOW! I read the thread. WOW! 365,867 miles. I sincerely hope my 2.4 Ecotec engine does as well. I baby the engine and don't run it hard. Easy on the acceleration, premium gas and the magic SeaFoam.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 PM

for a quick answer, yes you should buy the HHR. I think you will like it. I have a one ton, four door Dually chevy work truck and it was killing me on gas. I wanted something with better gas mileage and a comfortable ride. The HHR is a pretty nice, mine is the 2.2 and it runs pretty good. In fact it will surprize you how well it runs and gets great mileage. I did rent one for a while before I bought this to make sure and glad I did.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 AM

Oh, and if you are 6' or over, the top of the windsheild may be too low for you. Can be hard to see the closer stoplights sometimes. I just deal with it