General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

should I buy a 2009 LT 2.2 or a 2007 Corolla?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 PM

should I buy a 2009 LT 2.2 or a 2007 Corolla?

20 year old daughter needs a reliable economic safe car. Not going to lie, I've had many Toyotas over the years, and never had a problem with any of them except the oldest daughter's last Corolla (2008), and that was for paint/clearcoat failure; roof was rusted and clearcoat failing on trunk and hood. She traded that one in for a Prius, because she was tired of the rust. This younger daughter will not be looking to do anything but keep it stock, so that is not part of the consideration.

We test drove an 09 LT (navy) today, and smelled a little bit like oil but maybe more like a different fluid (transmission?) at first when driving for about 2 blocks, then it disappeared. I actually like the ride quite a bit, except she needs an alignment. Oh and the tire pressure monitor thing came on, and if it is anything like me old Colorado, it's probably a battery out.

Not crazy about the rear visibility from the window, but the mirrors are good, and there is an afternmarker camera in the back (but suction mount monitor for front is removed, could probably find a replacement). Asking $5500, low miles at 92K, was an old lady (really) who drove it and she hit the garage and buckles the front bumper area a bit (riveted back in place instead of replaced as it cracked a bit); her DPOA signed title as well as her and by looking at the shaky handwriting, pretty sure dealer is telling the truth about 1st and only owner. I looked up the crash ratings on this car, and they are amazing, outshine the Corolla in the side pillar and some other areas like head/neck, driver leg, etc.

Seems this VVT 2.2 can have timing chain problems? What are the other common issues. I've been spoiled by Toyota, never had to do anything with any of them other than usual maintenance, no repairs at all. (Have had Avalon, Sienna, 3 different corollas, and ex had a Camry when first met.) I will say that I did have a Chevy Colorado (08), which I bought at 30K, and kept it until 135K when I moved north and didn't want RWD anymore (got an AWD suv); I only had to change the water pump in that truck and regular maintence, except the 2nd speed on a/c /heat fan gave out and the CD player would eat CDs and not give them back.
The last Chevy I had before that was a 1982 ? Celebrity which had to have a traney overhaul at only 72K miles, but that was the 80s, right, lol........

Before that Celebrity I had a VW Rabbit, made in Mexico, that always had electrical problems, and threw a rod at a whopping 34K miles!!! So.....I'm a little gun shy of Chevy and when I found this HHR was made in Mexico...... I'm a little leary, and just wondering what the best decision would be to make. I can find a Corolla that has about 15 K more miles and two years older, but it costs $1500 more, ugh.

I kind of like the whole flex fuel thing, as it is available around here. But never paid attention to it. Does flexfuel stay cheap when gas climbs, or do they both go up at about the same rate/
Obviously, I'd like to avoid buying a car that I have to start putting a lot of money in to. I'd like it to be fairly worry free for the next 5 years of driving (60K) miles, if possible (not replacing the whole drivetrain, etc.)
I know there's no guarantees, but would like some thoughts or advice. Any thoughts on what could be average for expenses for what appears to be a well-kept HHR as described are much appreciated. (She took it to the dealer at required intervals, have proof.) A little worried about the initial smell, too.

Yes, I ramble, lol, and I'm a single woman and don't know a heck about what's under the hood (although I know how to put the car through it's paces on a test drive and how to feel and listen for things, and everything was good). All help appreciated.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:40 PM

is engine prior to 2009 not VVT?

Is engine before 2009 VVT more reliable or still have timing chain problem? See some cheap ones FSBO
Old 08-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Administrator

The timing chain is not usually the problem, it’s the front guide that breaks. Yes the timing chain will stretch and after 100,000 miles I recommend changing it at that mileage, preventative maintenance.
The oil smell can just be from sloppy oil filter changes, front engine cover seal at the harmonic balancer leaking, or oil pressure sending unit leaking. I put 286,000 miles on my 2007 2.2 automatic, no major issues, my 2011 has 130,000 Miles on it now , I just changed the timing chain in March , and enjoy driving it still .
As for which one to purchase , that’s a matter of personal preference, I’ll say HHR every time, but that’s just me, I love these little trucklets!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 AM

2006-2008 2.2 no VVT. All 2.4 have VVT.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:47 PM

Having both, hhr and corolla, i woud say go with hhr. They are both cheaply made cars, that will require attention. At least you can get hhr cheaper.I doubt you can get 5years of driving without problems from any of them. And hhr should be less expensive to insure.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:25 PM

It all boils down to maintenance, and the history of the vehicle. Even the most reliable brand will not last long if it's had a rough life.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:50 PM

Looks like you answered your own question when relaying your experience with Toyota.
They are renowned as being the most dependable cars out there, simple as that. There is a reason they hold their value.

$5500 sounds like way too much for the HHR.
I bought a 2011 HHR mainly because of the price, it was in like new condition with 100k miles on it with brand new tires and alum rims. And of course here they are rust free.
I had looked for a Toyota Rav4 at a decent price for almost a year.
I changed all the hoses, all fluids, serp belt, speakers and head unit and have been changing syn oil and filter every 4k miles.
Lower control arms are now bad so I bought pretty much all the parts to redo the front end while I'm in there.

I'm very happy with the car, especially like the fact that I can sleep in it comfortably on a long trip since the front seat folds flat.
And I plan on keeping it, it will probably be my last car, that's how much I like it.
There are some really nice HHRs out there, but a lot have become money pits.

BTW, my daughter needed a 4WD for college way up north, the HHR didn't cut it, so I ended up getting her a 4Runner, she loves it.